Bodywork advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDLINE_76

I have 3 spots of rust that I want to take care of this summer. I'm really not familiar with body work so I was hoping to get some insight into these spots that break my heart.

Bottom line, I would like to know if the whole surface must be re-painted or if these can be touched up in any way. Approximate pricing would also be nice.

Here are two spots on my roof right above the windshield. I know there is always the option of removing the glass or working with it in place. What do you guys think? Does the windshield need to come off?

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Here is a spot on my hood all because of the stupid hood deflector the previous owner had *td*

IMG_0068.jpg

yoooooooooooooooooooooooo

whats up adam boiiii

From my experience i think you r better off removing the winshield if u want a "good job", u can see in the pic that the rust goes behind the rubber.

You can probably get the 3 spots toouched-up *tu*

hey man

the rust really tapers off under the rubber. the bubbling is the worst of it. i think removing the windshield would be the best way to neutralize it.

if you remove the windshield.. just make sure they re-install it properly, otherwise for some "unknown" reason you may find rust on your floor.

I have seen so many cars looking so good but the floor is rotten. Most of those cars had their windshield repaired.

The question is.. how long you want to keep your car? Most of those rust spots are due to rock chips.. they could have been avoided if take care of immediately.

I plan to keep the car for another 2-3 years max. I totally see your point CelicaGTS, it's actually why I asked if removing the windshield is necessary. I'd like to keep my floors in their current state.

Wouldn't it be enough to just remove that rubber strip to fix it. When I lift it I can see that the rust stops almost flush with the rubber...

U have 2 options

1) fix it to hide the rust
2) fix it and get rid of the rust

From what i see u want to go with option 1. If u r planning on keeping the car for 2-3 years u might just fix it so it "looks good".

U got 2 -3 answers already, now i think u should go to a bodyshop and get a real quote. I doubt u will get a "quote" on the internetzzzz by looking at pictures.

Last edited:
I see what you mean Nico. What I really wanted to know was whether this is something you can patch up or does the whole roof/hood have to be re-painted. I know from experience that the body shop will try really hard to get more money out of you *td*

NICOBKN is right about your two options.

If you sand it down a bit and paint over it with touch-up paint, it won't look too bad. However, in time, the rust will will cause your paint to bubble. This is already the case in your first two photos.

You can always bring it to a body shop. They will clean the rust off thoroughly and re-paint it for you. However, this may not be the wisest solution economically-speaking.

Also, try not to bend that rubber too much. If it's dry and it happens to crack, you'll have much more serious issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back