S14 Open Diff/ LSD Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoYaL FLuSH

Car is a '97 240sx non-ABS with open differntial. I am looking to upgrade to an LSD but depending on my budget i may have to settle for a oem VLSD. I realize there's a lot of information available online but at times it could get a little overwhelming for someone with limited mechanical knowledge. Basically, i just need some confirmation on certain things.

- any US or CDN 240sx VLSD should bolt right up and i could use my s14 axles.

- any JDM s13/s14 VLSD would need the 5 bolt output shafts/ axles...

... but would i need my differential rear cover if i get an s13 usdm/jdm VLSD? ... and could i use my s14 axles on the s13 diff, right?

- from what i gather, even tho the ABS VLSD is slightly longer it should still bolt up properly to my non-ABS drive shaft... correct?

... i know there are z32 and j30 options available but i haven't really considered them cuz it seems as though s13/s14 differentials are a lot easier to come by.

any other info i should know?

^ no speed sensor is on the tranny ...

i'm welding mine this summer . i'm aming for a 1.5way but dont have the budget right now !!!

I heard J30s are the best you can get for 240s in terms of price/performance. Is your car from the US of A? Because didn't all Canadian 240s come with VLSDs?

s13 and s14 vlsd are the same except for the back plate ... i dont know if an open diff back plate will fit on a vlsd unit !!!

yes, my car is from the states... it's one of those wierd base models with no sun roof, 4 bolt, open diff, no rear sway bar... but has a/c...?

yea, the speed sensor is on the left side of the tranny... it's the abs thing i'm not totally sure about. i guess i have to keep searching about the s13/s14 back plate. i'm always on zilvia searchin but hardly ask questions cuz almost everyone's an asshole!! lol

^ no speed sensor is on the tranny ...

i'm welding mine this summer . i'm aming for a 1.5way but dont have the budget right now !!!

i'd like to know how a welded diff would handle in corners on a daily basis. i've heard it's manageable once you adjust to it but i'd like to know how it feels before i do something like that

some sharp coner's , the inner wheel will want to jump a bit but that's at low speed ... high speed you wont notice ... i will give you a ride in mine when it's done ...

but it will lock when acc and lift off acc !!!! that can be tricky

some sharp coner's , the inner wheel will want to jump a bit but that's at low speed ... high speed you wont notice ... i will give you a ride in mine when it's done ...

but it will lock when acc and lift off acc !!!! that can be tricky

the tires both turn at the same speed no so everytime you turn a corner, you risk going into a drift?...lol thats why I am welding mine too.

i really dunno... i'd imagine it would be down right dangerous on let's say a higway onramp especially in the rain... and just incase someone else is forced to drive my car (if i'm drunk let's say) that could be really bad if it's unexpected.

anyways, i think i've found an s14 vlsd... so that might be my best bet right now. lesser km's, definately a direct bolt-in provided i have the axles, the only thing is i'm unsure if it's non-abs or abs... which supposedly doesn't matter even with the added length. i'm gonna try to go see it this week

That's what I'd do until you can scout the market and save up for a true aftermarket quality piece after finding out some info

That's what I'd do until you can scout the market and save up for a true aftermarket quality piece after finding out some info

exactly

for now i just want a simple upgrade from an open diff. for the driving i do a vlsd should suit me fine. if or when i become more serious with the car then that will be when i start looking into an aftermarket.

why spend a 1g on an lsd for a car i drive to school, work, and back... and only do some "spirited driving" once in a while?

exactly

for now i just want a simple upgrade from an open diff. for the driving i do a vlsd should suit me fine. if or when i become more serious with the car then that will be when i start looking into an aftermarket.

why spend a 1g on an lsd for a car i drive to school, work, and back... and only do some "spirited driving" once in a while?

yeah. imagine what you could do with 1g :p

hmm... i found an jdm s14 rear subrame for a good price. so that's the vlsd, rear sway bar (that i don't have), and 5 bolt hubs (that i don't have either).

i wonder how hard it would be to swap subframes in my garage with only a jack and jack stands lol... very tempting.

do it ... it's easy if your car is not all rusted ...

defais les hoses a brake , le drive sahft , la suspension et 4 botl qui tienne ton subframe

yea, i think i'm most likely gonna do it. but wut i'm most worried about is balancing the whole subframe on my jack... it should weigh well over 100lbs and would be pretty hard to move around... especially with my car only a couple feet off the ground. thanks for the offer jon... i'll keep that in mind

but first thing's first... i hope the whole subframe can fit in the back of my accent lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back