Custom Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebus

Legacy Member
Hi
I was originaly planning to get a custom box made for my civic hatch 200$ or so at JD. I was gonna have my sub placed in the spare wheel hole with my amp and make it llok like there is absolutly nothing there when the trunk is open. Now for my questions... what type of wood do they use...
It doens't seem to hard to do thats why i want to try it..but after its done..how do i make it stay snug? do i have to bolt it down somwhere..or just lay it there all lose??

For sound quality..will it be good? or am i better just buying a box?

I previously read that good wood can be bought at reno depot for cheap also...

Any comments or suggestions would be great..
Thanks guys
Jon

If you pay 200$ they're most probably gonna use MDF. Word of advice, if you get the box made, make sure you don't screw the amp onto the box itself.
If you make it yourself, just make precise cuts and you might not have to worry about bolting anything.

Hey
Well at JD they said they would fix a 12inch sub and the amp under the box so if someone where to open my trunk to rob my sub..they wouldn't see anything....

so why wouldn't you screw your amp to your box then?? cause of the vibrations??

So your saying i just put the board in and thats it...hope for the best so it doesn't move??

maybe i would be better off just paying 200$ for the install...

PS: Is MDF and goos for boxes?

Originally posted by L-K
Hey
Well at JD they said they would fix a 12inch sub and the amp under the box so if someone where to open my trunk to rob my sub..they wouldn't see anything....

so why wouldn't you screw your amp to your box then?? cause of the vibrations??

So your saying i just put the board in and thats it...hope for the best so it doesn't move??

maybe i would be better off just paying 200$ for the install...

PS: Is MDF and goos for boxes?
MDF is the best and most cost effective way! Although I've always wondered if solid oak would be ok too. Thing is oak is probably too expensive, I believe it is strong enought though to withstand the pressure! Anyways.... as for mounting a sub under the box, that would not be a good idea! Your apr won't be able to properly breathe! Best thing is too have a look at your trunk, and try and make yourself a custom amp rack.

MDF is the standard for boxes and 99AltimaGXE was right, your amp won't be able to breathe if its hidden.

AND DON'T SCREW YOUR AMP to your box:D Subs rattle a lot, and over time, the electrical components in the amp will start to loosen, wich in time will turn your expensive amp into a nice heavy paperweight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back