LS/VTEC below 7200rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know how to make power the motor make no difference you put the power where you want!!!!!!

I wouldn't mix-match parts. From what I understand, it's not reliable. Stick with a complete motor.

The whole point of doing this setup is to have more hp up top not in the lower rpm range so I wouldn't bother with it if your not going to work on the bottom end of your engine so it can handle the revs.

very true.. there are little gains to be had with a "stock" ls/vtec... the whole point of putting the vtec head on is to be able to take advantage of 8500 rpm... now if your not going to built a bottm end for that much rpm, stick with a non-vtec head and make it flow better in its operating ranges...

Not true guys. The LS motor has 1835cc as opposed to the GSR's 1797cc's. That's 38cc more displacement. As TK has told you, there is no replacement for displacement. Torque values will be higher on the hybrid (hp is a derivative of torque) and therefore hp as well. More bore and the same head result in more power. This motor is called the Frankenstein motor.

Ok guys I have researched the hell out of LS/VTEC and no for damn well it's not a matter of putting on a vtec head onto an LS block to make a good VTEC engine. It'll take at least another 2.5k on the bottom to make it work better (rods, bolts, pistons, girdle, oil squirters, oil pan to fit girdle, etc). However what I asked is literally that question.

Sure VTEC motors peak power over 7200rpm, but between 5000rpm and 7200rpm your gonna tell me they won't make more power than a stock LS head? Well that's my question.

I wouldn't rev past 7200rpm (maybe 7500), and basically what I'm asking is for the time being would it be better to spend the money on upgrading my head with a vtec head revving only to 7200rpm (and NOT taking full advantage of VTEC, i know), OR would you think just staying nonvtec is gonna be a better investment.

Tom, I understand I can still make some good power if I work my nonvtec head, but you wouldn't agree that having vtec will give me more streetable potential??

Don't take my word for it ask Pat !!!!

Its always good to get a second opinion especially from someone who has one
right!!!!!

Yeah, true... But I mean I'm talking with a lot of dudes on the net with my car and a few guys have decent nonvtec setups pushing 150-160hp at the wheels with special head packages & ecu's from gude etc... But most people say the engine's potential if kept streetable ends about there, whereas with vtec there are many more variables... Basically I'm thinking I either spend the dough on my nonvtec head which will hopefully keep me happy, OR i spend it on a vtec head, enjoy the modest power increase for 1 year under 7500rpm, then next year, rebuild the bottom end. In the end, the ls/vtec will give me the most potential, and will cost the most. My only option down the road with nonvtec is to get a b20z bottom end.

Why not save your money and do it all at the same time..works out cheaper this way!!!!!

Then you go vtec and short block all in One shot!!!!!

Ok.. I've decided to just save instead of stock up on parts... This will leave my options open!!!

Teg 92... whats the major diff between a b18c1 head and a b18b? b18c1, got 2 cam profiles on both cams right, got slightly larger intake valves, dual intake manifold and more weight in the head cuz of the vtec center rocker....

Now what does the b18b head have... well not much, and thats a good thing imo.. cuz you can get custom grinded cams (to the lift and duration of your specs) and it it can be buzzed upto higher rpm levels (if that is one of your goals) than the vtec head cuz of less motion assemblies (granted you got to have the right parts to do so) the head can be fitted with larger valves and guides ( more room than the vtec head) ferrea makes oversized valves for the b18b.. and the manifold, Im still work on some ideas to get it to flow better... now give that motor the same compression as a gsr or an sir and watch it fly! (gotta luv that long stroke)

Sure you'll make a little bit more power between 5000 and 7000 but it won't be worth all the money you'll put into it. I say just get some crower cams with some nice valve spings and a retuned ECU and you'll be way faster than a Vtec head on a stock B18B block. Or if your going to pull everything out next year, just wait a year and do the LSVTEC thing but do it right by working the bottom end of your engine to get full advantage. By the way, it doesn't take that much to make a good LSVTEC setup, all you need is some rod bolts from like ARP or some other brand, oil squirters and get everything balanced. Those stock rods are plenty strong to handle the revs, it's the rod bolts that are weak.

WhiteZomby: Well the only reason I'm contemplating it is because of similarity in price when all is said and done on the LS.

Just think. I can get a good b16a head complete with dist/im for less than or the same price as Springs and Cams for my LS. That's what makes me think of just putting that head on for the meanwhile instead of getting LS cams & springs. But then again, the only thing that is selling me about staying LS is that if I do LS I know every part in there is good and I can be confident I've done it right. And oh yeah, a b20z bottom end will sure whoop some booty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back