Towing a RWD vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

apc

hey guys im looking to tow a 240sx for a distance of about 175km. I was planning on using a car-dolly, but after reading online abit, i found that it is recommended to disconnect your driveshaft before doing so. so my question to you guys is : Is this really necesary? Will my tranny actually get messed if i tow it without disconnect with driveshaft??
secondly: I consider myself mechanical inclided and have no troubles working on cars with prior instructions. Would anybody happen to know how to disconnect a driveshaft from a 90 240sx? Chances are its like any other car right?(4 bolts, make sure to put matchmarks on the flange and shaft etc.).  would there be any specific tools i would need to anything i should need to do before disconnecting the driveshaft?
so if anybody would be so kind to help a brother out, would be greatly appreciated!
I understand french aswell, so if your more comfortable replying in french giver'!
Any info would be great,
Thanks boys!

hey guys im looking to tow a 240sx for a distance of about 175km. I was planning on using a car-dolly, but after reading online abit, i found that it is recommended to disconnect your driveshaft before doing so. so my question to you guys is : Is this really necesary? Will my tranny actually get messed if i tow it without disconnect with driveshaft??secondly: I consider myself mechanical inclided and have no troubles working on cars with prior instructions. Would anybody happen to know how to disconnect a driveshaft from a 90 240sx? Chances are its like any other car right?(4 bolts, make sure to put matchmarks on the flange and shaft etc.).  would there be any specific tools i would need to anything i should need to do before disconnecting the driveshaft?so if anybody would be so kind to help a brother out, would be greatly appreciated!I understand french aswell, so if your more comfortable replying in french giver'!Any info would be great,Thanks boys!
 I cant remember if the drive can split in two, but just unbolt the 4 bolts that are linked with the diff. You dont need to mark the location its not angle dependant. Also don't remove the driveshaft otherwise your transmission oil will leak when you will lift the front.With the angle of the car on the dolly I wouldnt be suprise that you might starve the forward gear of oil.    

why dont you ask your frined to use his CAA card, if someone you know has CAA plus they should tow for 175 KM on a flatbed, no worried. If you have to remove the DS drain your transmission oil, remove it entirely and dolly her away. I dont think you should have issues just my .02

If you get a car dolly, why not get the add-on that lifts the rear wheels to? Or else just sign up to CAA and have them tow the car. A Membership to CAA Gold for 1 year will cost less then renting the dolly. lol

Why don't you put the rear wheels on the dolly, so that only the front wheels will touch the ground?

I've towed a RWD on a dolly for 2500 km: put the rear wheels on the dolly, put your steering straight, remove the key to lock it in place and tie the seat-belt around it. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back