too much power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewRevolution

Legacy Member
I'm driving a 97 corolla and am planning to install a system putting out 660 watts total from two ppi amps and was wondering if my stock alternator could handle that much power.

Should I try and find a high output alternator? Any idea on price?

Originally posted by NewRevolution
I'm driving a 97 corolla and am planning to install a system putting out 660 watts total from two ppi amps and was wondering if my stock alternator could handle that much power.

Should I try and find a high output alternator? Any idea on price?
That depends on the current draw from the amplifiers. Find out what fuses are on the amplifier, 2x20A? Something like that, at least that gives you a rough idea of what the amps maximum draw will be then. Then you need to find out how much current your amp puts out, (either in your manual or on the inside of the door panel. Then you'll also need to see how much current your cars accessories (lights, radio, wipers, A/C, defroster, etc.) draw from the battery. Always try and imgine the worst case scenario for this (driving at nigh in a snowstorm), that way you know if your system will handle it.

Instead of buying a new alternator, u could buy a capacitor to reduce strain on your electrical system.

Thats what I did.

Well the output of the alternator isn't written anywhere in the manual but I think it was written on a sticker on the alternator itself but the sticker is ruined and I can't read anything on it :(. But I read that the alternator on the 98+ models are 80 amps so hopefully mine is near this. The amplifiers have a 30A fuse and the other has a 60A fuse. I think I'll just get a cap, I'll probably be changing cars in a year so I don't want to spend money on the car itself, just the system :D.

I have 2 amps producing 400 w RMS and one producing 4x60w RMS in an integra with the originall alternator and I don't even have a capacitor, I have two batteries, one in the front and one in the back, and everything is ok, the lights are not even flashing(you see them flash a little bit at night, so i'll get two cap 1farad just to be shure)
So I would put a second batterie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back