How body shops cover up during painting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATR90

Hey just a quick question here...

I was just speaking with the body shop that will be fixing a little dent on my quarter panel after somebody hit it with a shopping cart. Supposedly, in order to cover the car while repainting the quarter panel, they don't use plastic because the fumes could still get to the other side. The guy told me they will be spraying the car with something (I completely forget what he called it) that will sort of make a shell, protecting it from any over spray. Supposedly, they will be spraying this stuff everywhere, even on my wheels.

Does anyone know anything about this spray thing? Supposedly, it dissolves once you rinse it off with water. It's the first I hear of this and I was hoping to get a little more info on it.

Thanks!

It does a very good job when done right. It is alomost like a soap when you rise it off. I still perfer to tape off off wheel opensing because of the dirt that can hide in there.

like other said, it's liquid mask. Properly shoot, it's a really fun product to workt with. Some body shop use only this to wash the car after the car is done. The biggest downside is that it cost about 2 to 3 time the cost of polythene...

But polythene do a great job if it's instaled properly and especially if you have a downdraft paintshop. The flow of air start from the sceiling to the ground, so you can't have fume underneath the polythene.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Just FYI, white328, I'm taking the car to my dealer's in-house body-shop. They quoted me a great price and they will lend me a car while they're working on mine. It sounds like liquid mask is a good way to go and I'm glad I asked about it!

Just one little concern still... I have my summer wheels on... no chance this liquid mask will ruin the finish, I hope? The wheels also have a chrome lip... just saying... lol...

that's ok no problems !

As for your wheels, don't worry about them. Body shop even use acid to wash mags and it's safe as long as they are not letting the acid 5min...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back