pre-out probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

95_XE

Banned
I was trying to fix my stereo today, and while fixing it I ran into more problems. The initial problems was(I suspect) a bad ground, whenever I skipped tracks or pressed mute, the sub would just start beating, it was very annoying. So I tore everything apart, a very long task because I did some custom work to my trunk. Well I grounded both the amp and radio on different spots, and the prob. seemed to have been gone. But my sub wasn't working. I disconnected the pre-out for the sub, and connected it to the rear speaker pre-outs, and it started working, same for the front pre-outs. The funny thing is whenever I connected the sub pre-outs, my amp turns off, it's not supposed to do that.

What do you guys think? Did I blow my sub pre-out while I was working on the grounds, or do I have some bad wiring somewhere?

I just remember, while I was re-connecting my sub, I think the speaker wire touched the amp and I got a small spark, nothing major, could that be the prob?

this may sound stupid, but when going through complete tear downs you may often forget the slightest details. :)

Did you go through the radios settings to make sure the sub is turned on? Sounds like that could be the prob. Also, since the light does not come on, I'm guessing you have an amp that doesn't require a remote wire correct? thus telling you you are getting no signal from your sub preout, which either backs up my claim, or baks up yours. It could very possibly be that the pre outs are shorted out internally on the HU. But thats what warranties are for. If worst comes to worst, either bring it back to the dealer for a new one, or for repair. If it goes in for repair, well, bad news is you'll be without a radio for a couple weeks!

Sorry :(

heheheh, no don't worry I made sure to check if the sub was turned on. My amp has a remote wire, that's why I don't understand why it turns off when the RCA's aren't connected. Is there a way to check and see if my pre-outs work? I have a multi-meter, I don't know which setting to turn it to though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back