Match porting stock IM vs. Skunk2 IM

Status
Not open for further replies.
All depends on what the application is !!!!!!

How much for a skunk2???

Application is all motor no vtec. I'm gonna have Crower 62403 cams, 4-1 header, and i'm getting you guys to mill my head 30 thou (calculated to give me from 9.2:1 to about 10.0:1 maintaining safe valve/piston clearance), 3 angle valve job and a good p&p. Hoping to go from 15.6 to mid-low 14's.

I just found out the stupid IM is like 350-400 bones. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Thats why I asked you how much!!!!!!

Spend the same money on your stock intake and it will do just fine!!!!!!

Hmm $350 just for working on a IM? I'm gonna come visit you guys to come up with a good game plan! Which honda engine builders do you guys respect (so I can speak to them for good reference of what work to do for a non vtec setup)?

Any guy that gives you what you pay for !!!!!!

And any guy that builds fast and reliable engines!!!!!!

hehe I knew that was coming! I guess I'll have to just pay you for the names, right?!! Maybe you can give me your opinion on the following, a little reference guide for giving you a rough idea of CR, www.g2ic.com/tegtips/engine/#calccompress. I realize this doesn't factor the dome or actual shapes in the piston head, but it should come close, no?

No you don't have to pay me!!!!!
Its just that I don't have any favorite honda Engine builder!!!!!!!!

The right way to raise compression is with pistons!!!!!

Close enough for a build up!!!!

Ehhh.. I'm not planning for a build up. I want to pay for parts, and headwork, and be happy. I'm just a student!! Don't have the kind of $$$ for every tiny piece required for a buildup (bearings, bolts, and all the wonderful surprises and goodies you should just "put in while your at it"). That CR calculator seemed a little funny to me. I'll still get my head shaved but just have less expectations I guess.

The best thing would be to sit down together and see what kind of motor we could make with your budget!!!!!!!!!!

Like TKmotion said, it's not a good idea to shave your head to get more compression. I think you should just settle with the compression you'll have or just do it the right way and get pistons.

Teg92... if you dont whant to do a compleate overhaul of your motor ( build it up) what you should think about if your staying na.. make your motor breathe as much as possible.. get crower cams 402s i think... get their valve kit also you will need it... then to maximize get Tom from TK to open things up for you.. and forget about the skunk2 manifold... if your looking for serious gains with manifold tuning get one coustom built AFTER all you head mods.. then you can have a good idea of what kind of manifold volume you will be needing (ofcourse this can only be found with numeroud dyno visits)...Also if you can get a good girdle on it will allow you to rev a bit higher while keeping it safe (taking your rod bolts are in good shape) take a look at this www.Z10eng.com they got some really cool stuff... I got that girdle and the traction system on its way... ;)

I don't want to overhaul this engine. I want to get some decent power out of it so I can live with it for the next 2-3 years. My goal is to put some work into it this spring and if I'm not very happy with the gains I will stop there and build myself a b20z/vtec properly.

The cams I am buying are Crower 62403. I have JG copies but I don't really feel as good about them as the Crowers. As for getting the springs and a girdle I think that is a little overkill for an LS, since even the 403's only make power till 7500rpm, which is 300rpm past what I can rev with the stock ECU.

62403.jpg

I realize the increase lift is going to tire out the stock springs a lot faster if not cause some bad floating, but I have heard mixed stories whether or not springs are required for these cams with the stock redline.

As for the intake manifold, the Skunk2 IM is basically a bolt on version of a tweaked ITR manifold for an LS. It's got a bigger surge tank and shorter runners which will create an effect porting can not achieve. Most people say it is a very worthwhile mod. As for making my own IM I'm not sure i catch you. Only custom IM's I've seen that vary from the stock design are STR's, and my application is nowhere in the ballpark of needing something like those things.

What I've got decided for now is:

*Crower 62403 cams
*JG cam gears
*Headwork (milling the head, thinner headgasket, p&p)
*J1/S1 b16a cable tranny (if I can find one)

What I'm undecided on is:

*JDM DC Sports 4-1 header w/2.5" collector vs. DC Sports 4-2-1
*Skunk2 IM vs. just getting my stock one worked on

And what I'm deciding if I need or not:

*Crower dual valve springs
*MSD Ignition with cap & coil
*Oversized TB
*Fuel management (FPR, Injectors) or just chipped ECU

Teg92 There is no such thing as overkill!!!!!!!!

You put girdles and springs for reliability and longivity!!!!

The last thing you want is valve float cause if you drop a valve you could kiss the engine good bye!!!!!!!

If you get flex in the cyls well power loss!!!!!!!

So you see when I tell you something its for your benefit not mine!!!!

I don't know who they are that told you Skunk is all that and porting the stock
one is no good but they are probably sales guys that sell Skunk!!!!!

The skunk2 intake is full of casting impurities on the inside and the OEM Type-R one is smooth like baby's butt. Also the skunk 2 unit runners are 1mm smaller inside diameter (go figure why?). Just get a flange and have it machined and welded on a Type-R one to match your head. Ask Tom at TK he's a knowledgeable machinist that can help you.

I'm glad you're starting to listen!!!!!!!

Don't forget I'm telling you this for you !!!!

You haven't given me any money so why should I tell you lies about things !!!!
My goal is to give you best you could aford not take your money and run!!!!!!!

TK: Hence my post "TK is the man" !

Yeah I trust you more than anybody on the net, but I will listen to people who've built hondas properly (not people who run without springs etc). I should really get off my ass and come over and get a good pep talk soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back