Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0G1K

Legacy Member
Can anyone tell me why in a sedan we put the sub facing the trunk instead of the inside of the car? I just put my new setup (well, kinda) and I put my sub facing the interior of the car and I find that there are a lot less vibrations than it used too. I almost always drive with my rear seats down so maybe that's why I don't notice a too big difference......

It has to do with the volume of your trunk.

hmmm actually... Any soundwave below 80Hz is unidirectional, it has more to do with the proximity to the surrounding surface rather than the direction of the drivers (it's called the "proximity effect").

Also, the further the distance the sub is from you the more pronounced the low bass will be because of the longer wavelength of the lower frequency. when you turn the sub around the distance travelled by the wave to reach your ear is longer and will sound like it is playing lower.

ok...

Ok but since I have a 15 inch and I turned the sub box around but it's about the same distance because now it's in the rear of the trunk the rear of the box is almost touching the trunk so before I turned it the sub was like about at the same place except facing the other side.... But I found that the sound quality was better, more punch (well for a 15 inche anyway....) I'm satisfied with what I have now.... It's enough for me :)
thanks

Re: ok...

Originally posted by L0G1K
Ok but since I have a 15 inch and I turned the sub box around but it's about the same distance because now it's in the rear of the trunk the rear of the box is almost touching the trunk so before I turned it the sub was like about at the same place except facing the other side.... But I found that the sound quality was better, more punch (well for a 15 inche anyway....) I'm satisfied with what I have now.... It's enough for me :)
thanks
It will sound punchier now, due to the wavelengths. Before it had to travel all the way to the back of the trunk, would bounce off and come to your hear, thus producing a deeper sound. Now, it's going straight to your ear, and has a shorter wavelength, making it seem punchier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back