Planning my swap for this winter. S13 RB20 looking for pointers

twitch819

So im starting to plann out my swap for this up coming winter or when ever my ca18 blows this summer :p

Im picking up a RB20det from my buddy and i want to be making 375-450hp but im not sure how to get that much... right now i have a garrett gt28rs turbo z32 MAF and 444cc injectors on my CA18det, those are the only thigs that i could possibly swap over.
How ever correct me if im wrong i would need to go with bigger injectors and a bigger turbo.

Would anyone know what set up to run to get these numbers?

Dont waste your money on a RB20. I would do a SR20. It can handle quite a bit of power. If you really want a RB, go with a 25. If you're aiming for 375-450, probably a GT3071/76 will get you there no problems (whp). I've seen a RB25 with a GT2871 (T3 flange) and it made mad response.

Your call, but I would stick with a SR20.

right now im running a CA18 with a gt28rs, 444cc injectors, z32 MAF hkd headers but i know its bin beaten and the guy i boguht the car off didnt look like he had a clue in hell how to maintain it s id rather get the ca out than put money into a beater engine. A rb25 would be amazing but expensive when i got a budy who will sell me his old rb20 that we just pulled that i know runs perfect

You Can swap over the N62, the injectors are 444cc and from a GTR? If so, you'll need to find 2 mroe and a resistor pack in order to "use" them on the RB20. Dont even think about swapping that turbo, the flange isnt the same. The manifold, that's a no brainer 4 vs 6 cly.

Guess why Nissan stopped producing the RB20? Because it isnt a good 2.0L. If you compare it to a SR20, you'll see that there's WAY more potential and parts for it. And the way the block it built, the SR is superior in every way.

so much misinformation about the rb20 :( yes it is not a easy engine to do big power, but you can't say it's a shitty engine. it's a nice rev happy engine. call me if you want to know how to make power with 20, but the only thing that is cheap is the engine itself.

I know im still going to need to get a motor mount kit, drive shaft, ECU, wiring harness... what else is on that list that im forgetting?

hey i have a complete swap sr20det 300whp if interested give me news in very good condition nothing to do on it thnx

so much misinformation about the rb20 :( yes it is not a easy engine to do big power, but you can't say it's a shitty engine. it's a nice rev happy engine. call me if you want to know how to make power with 20, but the only thing that is cheap is the engine itself.

Alex knows what he's talking about.. I'm running 300 to the wheels, and 300 lbs of tq now at 18psi, 3900 rpm full spool with my RB20 on 91 pump gas. 23 psi is in the 354 area which is in the the 410bhp area - aka RB25 tranny swap (unless you plan on gutting your car down to the 1000kg mark). The ONLY way to make a well performing, high hp and torquey RB20 is in the head work. The RB20 head flows minimal CFM's compared to the 25, so it's already at a restrictive loss off the bat. With some serious headwork, front facing plenum (to reduce both lag by shortening the IC piping, and to increase flow via a larger tb), cams (260's maybe, i'm running Poncams which are 254/8.5), valve springs (obviously, for the larger lift) yada yada..

The turbo will have to be a GT30 and up.. And where you can gain some much needed response is in the IC pipe length. If you chop it down as much as possible, you can return spool to the 3k zone.

RB20 stock bottom end will see over 400 bhp. It's been done, DOZENS of times. Follow some SAU builds and you'll see for yourself. So until it explodes, dont waste your time on building a 2.2 or wtv because it's more than capable for your needs. The stock bottom end was used in ALL the Gibson Touring cars in 89. The Silvertop with cosworth pistons at stock bore produced 400 whp without a hiccup. Like i said, its all in the delivery - the more air you can move the better your RB20 will be at producing power. If you wanna go nuts, extrude hone your exhaust housing and stock manifold (Which doesnt become turbulent until 400+) and gasket match EVERYTHING.

If you wanna go nuts, run water meth. You'll be able to pull so much more timing, and for the price, its an unbeatable setup for high hp/tq numbers.

All in all, you can do an rb20 build (assuming the motor is in good shape - ie. >140 compression warm) for less than 4500$ if you shop around..

Cams, headwork and turbo are your greatest expense..

OR... just get an SR 20.. its cheaper, head flows insanely well, and builds boost on the fly.. Not to mention produces overwhelming torque numbers, lowers the weight of the car and shifts the CFG further back towards the centre..

... i wont lie, i'm leaning towards an SR20 in the future.. But build the RB and be original ;)

im still not sure what i want to go with, either way its going to have to be something i car drive to the track, beat all day long and drive back home with.... in gatineau/ottawa everyone runs sr20, iv seen maybe 2-3 rbs13's so that mad points to originality :p

For 5 bills id be getting
perfectly running rb20
rb20 tranny with nismo short throw
drive shaft
rb20,rb25 exaust manifold
rb25 mines ecu (not sure if that will some how work in my s13)
rb25 turbo
off the top of my head thats all i can remember
leaving me to get engine mount kit, wiring harness possibly ecu, shorten the drive shaft and is there anything that im forgetting?

get a rb25, put a better turbo on it...cheapeast way to create 400 hp of ''creativity'' like you said..
good exuausth and intercooler is a must, good fuel pump with adequate wire to bring the power....the installation kit for rb in S chassis.. Robin almasi can make you'r harness plug and play if you desire probably some other guys too...
.. z32 maf and ECU (the rb25 dosent chip)
tadam!!

cheap and fun!!!

sr20 is much cheaper but not as original like you say...but it's popular for a reason think about it...
I'm finishing a fully built rb26dett swap..kept the twins.. gt2860-5 .. cost a damn fucking fortune at the end....but hey...you'll see soon enough!!

oh ok, if you have any pics of your rb26dett swap could you send those to me through a pm or something I really want to see that

Back