CA18DET spitting anyone have any ideas?

twitch819

I got my silvia in the middle of the this winter, stored it till about a month ago..... when i first took it out i noticed some times that with boost at 5500rpm the engine would sputter, other times at speeds of over 160 it would seem that boost would suddenly stop.

I changed my water pump today and now the sputtering seems to start at around 4800-5000rpm.... I dont think my timing is off if it is I know it wouldent me by more than half a tooth. Everything runs fine until the engine is under load and is in boost.

I also talked to the guy that i bought the car off, he said that the ecu is chipped and advanced the timing, but was never tuned for the gt28 turbo, 444cc injectors, and the z32 MAF. He also told me that the car was running at 8lbs of boost but once I got my boost guage in i noticed a few times that it spiked up to 13-15 (this was when it would sputter at 5500).

Any one have any ideas whats going on? could is be over boosting, the combination of all the parts and no tune making the ecu spaz? or could it possibly be something with coils or plugs?

Thats what bothers me.
"he said that the ecu is chipped and advanced the timing, but was never tuned for the gt28 turbo, 444cc injectors, and the z32 MAF. He also told me that the car was running at 8lbs of boost but once I got my boost guage in i noticed a few times that it spiked up to 13-15"

o_O get it tuned. The sputing might be detonation!

go get an oem ecu and injectors and maf. run the car.. check the timming, tps, IACV then if you want to modify teh car go from there.

im going to start by checking the timing, than ill try new coil and plugs. Tunning would be the next step, but i wouldent go out and get a new stock ecu injectors and maf, iv got an rb20 sitting in my buddys garage i just dont want to rip the ca out till the winter so till the rb goes in i want to spend the least amount of money possible

o_O get it tuned. The sputing might be detonation![/QUOTE]

Im from Ottawa but i come down to mtl (kirkland) area almost every weekend any ideas of where i should go for tunning and roughtly how much it might cost?

solved the problem tonight.... i bought new plugs, gapped them to 1.1 and it was still spitting, boost was blowing out the spark, made the gap on the plug smaller fixxed a leak in a vacume line and it running like a top!

Back