Why does Vtec........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacey

www.handlerwheels.com
Why does Vtec put out such low torque figures? I've always been curious! Enlighten me please!

Well there's no reason for vtec to make more torque. Think of it this way... We all know there's no replacement for displacement? Well that saying holds true for torque no matter what johnny hardcorehondalover tells you. However there is an alternative of displacement called efficiency, and this is what VTEC does. Imagine building a nice race head. It'll idle like crap. Honda decided that they didn't want their cars to idle like crap, so they decided to only make the race part of the head shine where it's needed, and that's where the vtec crossover comes in.

It's impossible to boost torque the way vtec does, since torque is only going to come from displacement, however hp is derived from torque and is a measurement of efficiency of an engine. That's why a stock 302 which is inefficient as crap can have 225hp and 300lb-ft of torque, yet you do some headwork, change the headers and carbs/or throttlebody, and same engine will make a few more lb-ft of torque, but probably another 100+hp.

I see. Thanks for the info!
Did you know that the Euro Spec Accord type R (H22) put out 215 lbs of torque! That must be one silly engine! I think it's the only honda that puts out more torque than hp!

Humm.. last time I checked the H22a from accord type-r, witch is the same motor thats in the prelude, minus lsd and more agressive cams, didnt put down 215 lbs of torque.. its more like 215 hp

Vtec = 2 cam profiles on one cam

1st profile maximized for (some what lowend <5500 rpm)
2nd profile gets maximized for hi rpm ( center lobe has a higher lift and a more agressive ramp speed that 2 other lobes)

thats why when vtec kick you get a little boost.. I know I forgot to talk about the dual runner intake manifolds, but its the same idea... long runners = more low end, short and fat runners = more hi rpm power. only the b18c and h22a have them.. oh yeah I think the new K series motors have them also...

go to www.honda.co.uk
And it'll tell you diffrently!

Engine Type DOHC VTEC

Displacement (cc) 2157

Max. Power (PS @ rpm) 212 @ 7,200

Max. Torque (Nm @ rpm) 215 @ 6,700

Ah..it's 215 nm..not lbs ft

I'm such a chump....how could i belive that there could actually be a torquey VTEC! My bad! Please forgive me.!! :(

"Honda were no doubt happy when their dyno sheet read 212 bhp at 7,200rpm and 159 lb ft (215 Nm) of torque at 6,700rpm. That torque figure is deceptive because in fact 140 lb ft (190Nm) is on tap from 2,000rpm. "

I've got a Japan Spec H22a with LSD, on the dyno i pulled 183hp and 156lbs of torque (at the wheels)
last summer. I don't think it's that bad for a 4 bannger.

I'm impressed Lucatronics! Thst's the torquiest Vtec I've ever heard of! H22....obviously!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back