Ford CPU for Check Engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtlhabsfan

Hi,

does anyone know someone or somewhere i could find, to have my CPU checked for the Check Engine light on my Ford...

of course i'm not talking about a ford dealer... cause i don't wanna have to pay 75 $, to have someone tell me that a 10$ sensor is broken... you get the point...

thank you

There's probably a way to do it yourself. I've done it on my SHO already. There's probably a way for you to it to. Look for a forum for your specific vehicule.

Unplugged the positive wire of the batterie for 10 min and the code will dissapear...if the check engine light come back then you must go to a Ford dealer to fix it up!
Try it, sometimes the light never come back! may be it's an intermitent problem?

could be a million reasons for the check engine light to come on !
disconect the battary is a good way to erase the code for sure, and your right
it might be intermittant, could even be something as stupid as a loose gaz cap ..but the only way to know for sure is to connect it up to the scanner and get your codes, then check the repair manuel and find out what the codes mean.., either your go to a ford dealer, or a private garage,but somebody is gonna charge you for the time they spent to connect up the machine and get you those codes ..... approx time for diagnostic would be 45 min ....
good luck !!!

blackSVT said:
Unplugged the positive wire of the batterie for 10 min and the code will dissapear...if the check engine light come back then you must go to a Ford dealer to fix it up!
Try it, sometimes the light never come back! may be it's an intermitent problem?

Are you sure that there's no way to do it yourself? Is the SHO unique in that respect? On the SHO all you have to do is connect two multi-pin connectors with a wire or paperclip. Perform a few steps and from the flashing CEL(check engine light) you can get your codes.

Soopa, our SHO's (And most Ford's older than 1995), use the EEC IV control system. The paper clip method works just fine for us. On the Contours, I beleive it's EEC V (or OBD 2 as some call it). This system is much more complex, no paperclip shortcuts :( You can spend about 150$ on a code scanner for the new system, or you could go to a garage & pay for them to read the codes.

I work in a garage & I believe it's about 30$ to scan the codes (Or something like that) Some may even do it under the table (For a cheaper price) if you know what I mean.

What year is the Contour (I'm assuming it's this since I'm reading your sig) Make sure it is infact EEC 5

Last edited:
Oh, I should add...Generally, Dealers rip people off for this service, it's much better to go to an independant garage.

My dad has a 98 24v Contour and when its really humid outside his CEL will come on... So I reset it for him
The car runs #1 so its probably just a sensor going south, no biggie, we'll get it checked when it comes on during normal temperature :D

Reactions: 337
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back