Ford, General motors, Chrysler, AMC?

Which automaker would you choose to be the best one of the 60's?

• Ford

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • General Motors

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Chrysler

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • American Motors

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mopar
They all built some pretty hot cars in the 60's but it all depends on what "best" represents for each person. Styling, performance, reliability, price? If I were to choose who made the most powerful cars from 1960 -1969, Chrysler would probably be my choice. They were shoving big cube, dual quad, big HP motors in any family car you could choose well before the popularly known "muscle car" era started in the late 60's. (Ie: 1961 Chrysler 300G, 413 cu.in., 4 spd stick, 400 HP, ~500 ft/lb, with dual quads) Everyody knows the Wedge and Hemi motors (especially Hemi) for ruling both the drag and Nascar circuits back then. Not to say that all other brands didn't build some sick powerful cars as well like the 69 ZL1 Camaros, the Yenko's, the Shelby's, 428 CJ Stangs, Ram Air GTO's etc... but Mopar kicked a lot of GM, Ford and AMC ass with the Hemi then and still to this day.

While I am a Ford fan in general, I voted for AMC. They were the last independant car maker out of the "big four" and they spawned several major innovations that are the industry standard today. They also made darn good engines, like the AMC 360 & 401. (I know the common misconception is that they "borrowed" engines from the other big three, but it is completely false). The inline six that was still used in the Jeeps until recently (4.0L) was also designed & made originally by AMC, It's been close to forty years now that that engine has been around in either 3.8L,4.0L & 4.2L sizes.

Right now, If someone was looking to buy a musclecar or a classic, AMC is the way to go. Prices for classic cars from the big three are just bloody outrageous these days. AMC offers damn reliable & damn performant cars (great handling, acceleration, braking, etc) for a damn good price! They also give you a chance to step away from the crowd & own something you don't see everyone else driving. If you turn out to be a real fanatic, you can find matching AMC, nash & kelvinator kitchen apliances too!

Now that's enough for my sales pich :D

Honestly to tell you the truth, i cant place a vote on this one, there were so many sweet cars at the time, Mopar had their Hemis, GM with SS cars and ford teamed with Shelby, pretty hard to choose. i really cant vote on this one, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back