Drove the RSX Type S and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DannyITR

I just test drove the RSX-S yesterday and here's what I think:

I like the steering wheel, seats, gearbox/shifting, interior quality, heat controls, panel and roof material.

There is no question that these items are superior to the Type R with much better quality.

I was disapointed with the handling, radio design, dash shape, and most importantly the lack of vtec. I couldn't tell when vtec came on at all. I'm sure it will be louder with a cone filter but nowhere near as loud as my car. The car has more body roll than my car. I like the minor improvement in torque but I still think it won't be as fast.

All in all it's a fabulous car but performance-wise I don't believe it will measure up to the Type R. I would highly recommnd it to anyone who wanted a GSR or Celica or to anyone who likes the import scene. I don't recommend it to previous ITR owners.

Yet the magazines who have tested it say it's quite fast, like 14.7 fast. I imagine it feels far less raw than a ITR. It is also supposed to feel more isolated and less "boy racer". I'm sure with a good set of springs and shocks it would be a great deal better.

The RSX should not be compared to the Type-r , rather the gsr. Apperently there wil be a type r version in a couple of years (they already have one in Japan)! The RSX is way more refined, and suited for the normal joe blow who isn't a testosterone filled, decibal addicted young male. However, it's true what RMR says...that it's much less raw than the ITR (no weight reduction, no super sporty suspension, full sound deadining), this kills the effect of "Boy racerism"! But it IS just as fast (according to Car and Driver).

As for the iV-tec opening...it's also more refined and smooth. I think it also opens a bit at a time rather that just at one shot!

RSX vs. GSR = fair competition RSX wins
RSX vs. ITR = unfair competition but almost equal
ITR vs. RSXTR = fair comparison...i'm sure RSXTR will kill!

Yes, I agrre with Vrsik that the RSX Type S is a GSR replacement. I can't wait for the Type R version.

The curve is much more linear than the previous Integra. Also the vtec power isn't squeezed into one band, so you won't feel it 'kick in' as much. The new i-vtec cam sprockets constantly adjust automatically (ECU controlled) as you drive to provide you with the best power for that moment. There's also a new third vtec cam.

That plus the quiet ride remove some of the impression of speed. But, as others have said, it IS fast.

How many kms did the car have that you drove? You may also consider that it wasn't broken in yet (my car is getting faster/more responsive as time goes on).

That being said, I would never go back to my Integra.

rsx

It is not a third vtec cam...rather it is "i" vtec, for intellegent. What this means, like Toyota's vvt-i is that it has variable cam timing...it is still a twin cam engine, meaning two cams, not three!

The secret of the torque is VTC the cams adjust themselves depending on what type of driving you are doing, the intake cam is gonna be retarded at idle and if you are cruising on Ste-Catherine to pick up a chick ( not too fat cause the car will bottom out). And if you go at full throttle the intake cams will be advanced, The new K20 engine has a 50 degree cam variation possibility.

The engine is now rotating clockwise and it is chaindriven not beltdriven like the old Honda engines.

The car is pretty fast but not as fast as Honda claims it to be. The old Type R engine is a bit faster, and the new RSX Type S is heavier. As for the body roll, don't forget that Struts are different than double wishbone set-up but the car is supposed to be 116% stiffer than the old Integra.

Question: How come North America is the only place where the car is not called Integra, I know that we are the only ones with the Acura Badge but What the !"/% !!!!!!!!! And what about the Type R ???

Once again were @#%$!!!!!!

No Recaro Seats
No Brembo 4 discs

Thank you very much to every Japanese companies that think that North Americans are not import enthusiasts.

Specially Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, THANKS ALOT.

Volkswagen should be added to that group to ( no 4 motion, no Audi A3 no RS4 or RS6, underpowered VR6'S.)

That's it i'm moving to Europe or to Japan it seems like they are the only ones who can expect real cars!!!!!!

In North America, automobile manufacturers tend to build and or create cars that will sell 'en masse'. The Japanese companies (in Japan) require a smaller number of potential buyers to justify a new model.

Now in the case of the new Type R, it is already built, but it costs a substantial amount of money to bring a new model in to North America (crash testing, etc).This ends up being millions.

It just may not make fiscal sense for them to spend this amount of money now when they will sell WAY more base models than Type R.

And on a side note, not to complain about the Type R, but don't you like leather seats (heated too) and sunroof? The RSX already has great seats (they are one piece body fitting Recaro style).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back