Forced Induction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowlife8

Legacy Member
So here it is: I am thinking of spending too much money on my car for nect year. Just want to get opinions on these two products. Greddy Turo kit or Vortech supercharger kit. It is for a 99 Civic SiR. Let the debate begin!

Matt

You would be the only one with the Vortech but I vote for the Greddy kit. Good reliability and probably better performance. I saw a magazine revier that rated the Votec at 280hp for the SiR but it ran only 14.1 1/4 mile. Mabye someone else can clarify this. Plus I would like to get a greddy kit for my car in the future so I'll just watch as you blow your motor and learn from your mistakes first....j/king ;)

On a 4 cylinder Honda..i'd for sure say first do all you internals...then the year after put the turbo, unless you could do both at once...bling bling $$$. How much boost is the Greddy kit capable of? Anyways...my vote is for turbo!!

On my next Vr6 i'm going Vortec, but that's in 2002!

A "b" series honda engine is more than capable of withstanding 10 psi or less of boost on stock internals. The greddy kit gies between 6-9 psi.

Well with low psi like that...no wonder1
How long do you think you could live with such low boost? My guess is 2 months till you crave 15psi!!

I say go turbo....you can always upgrade the turbo, intercooler, BOV, etc..... We can always start up the whole blower vs turbo debate, but you can't forget the fact that a turbo uses waste energy (exhaust gases) to create boost, whereas a blower will suck power to make power. At highj boost levels on our little engines a blower can actually be using over 100hp just to turn it.

I'd love to get a Turbo kit and run 9psi all day and be reliable.

one of our clients is running an Integra GSR with a greddy turbo kit at 9-10 psi and is running 13.6 1/4 times regularly (on 15" FZ4's!!!!). I could live with that! lol

You forgot to mention he has all stock internals too, right?

It depends what you want: If you want realibility, go with a supercharger (but the jackson one, not the vortech). If you don't care too much about it and you want the more power you can get then Greedy is the answer. It always ends up on what you want to do with your car: cruising a bit, chilin, racing a bit, or layin' rubber at each stoplight... But think about this: nothing is more rewarding than hearing a b.o.v each time you shift. Trust me one this one!

the JRSC isn`t even that reliable.....it`s still has too many problems. I don`t know of one guy that doesn`t lean out at tip in, and all the fixes are bandaids. It builds boost too quickly for the FPR provided to be able to compensate. The base kit is simply in adequate. Stay away from the JRSC unless you plan to put in some real goodies.

froced induction

Not only that but it`s performance does not blow me away. From all the tests I have seen, it runs mid to high fourteen`s in the quarter. Last year i ran a 14.9 with my car as is, so, too me it is too much money for the gain. Mid thirteens`s though...

Re: froced induction

Matt, next year il let you hook your car to my back bumper, then youl be in the 13's!! lol

get a turbo, run it at 6-9 psi, it will last about 1.5-2years and you will be in the high 13's low 14. after that you will need rings for sure.

you have on of the best mechanics working 20 ft away from you and he knows his turbo stuff.

me id say go with a turbo
vortech is too new and you dont know if you will have probleme in the futur
a guy on club si ran like a 13.4 with a vortech 12psi and all upgrade ,piston ,rod the supercharger will cost you about 7000$$ + internal like 2500$

for the turbo id say dont go with the greddy if you want big power(if your planning on keeping stock internal go with greddy its bolt on and you wont have much trouble with the kit, it come with injector and blue box(kind of standalone ) but if your planning on boosting more that 10 psi you have to change the blue box the kit is around 5000$$ and like max 220whp at 6 psi 10psi will be more like 245

if you want big power go with a f-max or rev-hard( grag3 is good but a lot of people complain with with the turbonetic turbo and deltage wastegate so keep in mind you need to upgrade at least the wastegate for the tial) if you wanna run a f-max or rev-hard kit ( they will give you around 250whp and like 6psi due of the bigger turbo then greddy) to run these kit proprely you will need injector and a hondata stage 3b but i have no clue of how much it cost in canadien money, you will also need high performance internal if you wanna boost more then 10 psi( lower compression pistion and forged rod)

im not a turbo expert but a good rev-hard setup with internal and standalone should give you at least 350whp at 15 psi
this is mid to high 12 sec 1/4 in a SIR
you will also have to consider a lsd and good tire because a lot of power suck without traction.
thiscost should turn around 9000$$ for everything

like i said im not an expert !!!

NEVER go with the Jackson Racong supercharcher!! They have change of owner two years ago and they don't support their warranty. So if you don't want to completly rebuilt your motor go with the supercharger. The Vortech one. With a supercharger, you don't have lag and it don't have to spool to get boost because it's belt driving. You can go for a maximum of 14psi of boost with a unorthodox pulley kit. But if 14psi is not enough for you and if budget is not a problem go with a turbo. The Greddy kit is a very good one. It have a small turbine so not to much of lag but not very potent. In that case you will have to upgrade your turbo for a bigger one. So more money and more lag.

If you planify to do more drag go with the supercharger... Tips of professional!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back