quick question about which comp is better

be_man36

I have a buddy who is selling his HP pavilion computer which has intel pent g640 dual core with 2.8ghz and 6gb (upgradable to 32gb) of ram and if I buy it I plan on putting a 500w power supply and of course a better vid card and the computer I have now that I wanna replace with the HP is a no name brand intel quad core Q6600 2.4 4gb ram (MAX) and I wanna be able to game on it like I can do on my no name brand comp...is the one I have now more powerful than the HP?

Your Q6600 is WAY better then the HP ! Put a decent used videocard in it and you'll be able to play most recent games ! 4 Gb of RAM is enough if you run a 32 bits OS. I'd put a GTX460 on it or something similar !

Your Q6600 is WAY better then the HP ! Put a decent used videocard in it and you'll be able to play most recent games ! 4 Gb of RAM is enough if you run a 32 bits OS. I'd put a GTX460 on it or something similar !

wow 40 views and 1 reply only...where are all the ITT experts? LOL anyways thx for the reply vroum much appreciated...the rest of you are useless :thefinger

Agreed.

I have 4GB of ram with a nvidia 8800gtx video card and I could play pretty much any game. You can pick up a similar video car used for a good price.

Also depending on your motherboard and what you have for cooling you can overclock your cpu by quite a bit, but it's still pretty decent.

Q6600 is the way to go between the 2. that is what i have and i play pretty much everything.

Q6600 over clocked to 3.2ghz
8 gigs of ram
GTX560 SC 2GB

Awesome thx for the input guys! I was sorta thinking tbe same thing but my Q6600 can only take 4gb where the HP can go upto 32gb but then the CPU would be the bottle neck when gaming which is what I dont want...as of now my Q6600 can handle pretty much anything as I have a radeon HD 7000 series grafx card...which I was gonna slap in the HP but since the q6600 is better ill keep that instead...thx for the input guys!

Honestly, stay away from HP desktops.

But as everybody else has said stick with your Q6600, quad core vs dual core for the g640. If you're going to upgrade you should do it properly, there's no point buying a system on a new platform that is already handicapped.

What are your current specs, why do you feel you need to upgrade your current system?

Because its over 4 yrs old and I have the 4gb men cap and the outer box is falling apart and I want something newer and faster as do most peoples reasons for wanting to upgrade their computers.... :)

Because its over 4 yrs old and I have the 4gb men cap and the outer box is falling apart and I want something newer and faster as do most peoples reasons for wanting to upgrade their computers.... :)

in that case, build yourself something, don't buy an HP. If money is an issue for 3-400 you can have a very good starting point for a new system, and you can upgrade slowly after that. If not then 6-700 and you're in buisness

Back