Worth fixing rust on an S13? Or just spend extra for clean shell

HeadBanger

MR staff member
So as of right now I'm looking to sell my car, and start fresh on a stock (or stockish) chassis.

I'm wondering how much it would cost to have the chassis professionally welded for stuff like rails and strut towers. If I can pick something up for say 1000 bucks, and spend another 1000 to make it perfectly fine then there's no point spending 4k+ on a clean chassis.

Paint is another issue, but if I'm spending the same, or less then why not?

By now you're probably asking yourself "why not just buy a clean one?" The problem is finding one and getting it. Most good deals are in Toronto area. I got my current car in Kitchener, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass to wake up at 3 in the morning, drive to Toronto, and drive back. I spent almost $300 on gas just to get there and back. Not the end of the world, but that 300 could be spent on the car instead.

Are there any draw backs to having a re-done chassis?

Its just a matter of finding someone to do a good job. But it if u have no friends who can do the work and you have a lot of "surprise rust" than expect to spend more than a clean chassis.

The only time i would lean towars a rusted car is either

1) its a VERY rare car to find and the deal is too hard to miss.
2) ive learned how to weld.

Painting a whole car minus engine bay =~2500-3000$
Painting a whole car minus engine bay plus repair of broken bumper, body slightly rusted with welds necessary = ~3500$
Painting a whole car minus engine bay plus a shit load of rust = ~4000-4500$ if not more...

And dont forget in all of that work, u have to hope the guy does a nice job so the rust doesnt creep back.

With that said get a clean chassis with minimal rust or just some surface rust.

And if ur complaining about 300$ of gaz to get a car, ur definitely gonna complain when u start getting quotes of how much its gonna cost to fix rust. Those s-chassis are renowned for being terrible rust buckets. Pay the extra and get a clean one since ur not gonna be doing the metal work yourself.

Will you be able to find a clean one? How bad is yours?
Your car is already swapped too, are you planning on keeping the rb20?

And if ur complaining about 300$ of gaz to get a car, ur definitely gonna complain when u start getting quotes of how much its gonna cost to fix rust. Those s-chassis are renowned for being terrible rust buckets. Pay the extra and get a clean one since ur not gonna be doing the metal work yourself.
I'm not complaining about 300 bucks. But it kind of sucks waking up super early and driving all day with little sleep and not much food in a car you've never driven. Also I think you're assuming I'd go to a body shop when I'd actually go to a welder for metal work.

Will you be able to find a clean one? How bad is yours?
Your car is already swapped too, are you planning on keeping the rb20?

The thing with clean ones is they're rarely stock. They always have an SR, coils, and other stuff. Which is fine I guess but I don't want to go SR and I want to pick my own coils and do all the work. Like I said, they're usually in Toronto and cost $4000+. Of course by the time I get organized they're always sold.
Mine is ok. It's seen better days.
I'd like to just keep stock KA for a while and go with an NA SR or just skip out and go straight to an LSx. Hence wanting a chassis that's really solid.

Would be nice to have a normal DD and have the 240 as a weekend car/project.

Disregard anything that has been said in this thread and follow the following advice;

Take your rusty ass 240 and push it into a river.

To me a car with rust is like a muslim girl that's been deflowered before marriage, she's worthless.

There is no rusty ass 240. You probably didn't read anything.

I'd much rather a rusty car than a wrecked and rebuilt car though.

Disregard anything that has been said in this thread and follow the following advice;

Take your rusty ass 240 and push it into a river.

To me a car with rust is like a muslim girl that's been deflowered before marriage, she's worthless.

Although I agree with what you say, many people would say the same about a VGA.

Rust is the worst problem to deal with on a car. Unless entire panels are changed it is likely to come back but since clean 240s are rare as f*ck maybe its worth saving.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Back