Looking to buy Talon TSI AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.

73vette

Legacy Member
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a first gen AWD talon. It obviously has to be 5 speed and I'm looking to spend no more than $4,000.

If you guys know anybody, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nick

I just hope you know enough about the cars to find a good one at that price.
at 4 grand, you should be real careful. 1st gen or not, there's 1ga and 1gb, there's crankwalk issues,
there's a LOT you need to know. dont do what i do and buy 1st. if you want some good info, pm me back. dont want another dsm owner regretting his choice
*thumbs up*

MyRidzPhucked said:
I just hope you know enough about the cars to find a good one at that price.
at 4 grand, you should be real careful. 1st gen or not, there's 1ga and 1gb, there's crankwalk issues,
there's a LOT you need to know. dont do what i do and buy 1st. if you want some good info, pm me back. dont want another dsm owner regretting his choice
*thumbs up*
Thanks for the head's up. What's a 1ga and a 1gb?

I thought that the 1st gen's had the stronger motors?

1ga and 1gb are the different looking models...
1ga-89-april 92
1gb- april 92-94

If you're looking for an AWD with more than 150000 km's for that price, there
isnt too much issue with crankwalk by that time, usually happens before 125 k

If you really want to know the car well, spend a week on dsmtuners.com, ca.dsm.org or if you want to go super technical,
vfaq.com. I suggest looking on vfaq.com and looking around at the menu's on the side bar. also go to the links it supplies.
1 week of searching should give you ALL the info you need to know, plus you'll notice that the DSM community is a lot more
patient, relaxed and realistic than the honda boys.

any more info, just ask =)
I'm under the same name on dsmtuners.com
the time will be worth it because these cars can be bombs in disguise pretty easily, you should
at least get to know the common problems so when they happen (and most definatly will) you can avoid the horrible
garage mechanics. these arent easy cars to diagnose, last time i went to a shop the snap on data log said my car was a 1993 jeep wrangler.

Are you looking to keep stock or modify? cant go in between, it just wont happen =D
Jason

MyRidzPhucked said:
1ga and 1gb are the different looking models...
1ga-89-april 92
1gb- april 92-94

If you're looking for an AWD with more than 150000 km's for that price, there
isnt too much issue with crankwalk by that time, usually happens before 125 k

If you really want to know the car well, spend a week on dsmtuners.com, ca.dsm.org or if you want to go super technical,
vfaq.com. I suggest looking on vfaq.com and looking around at the menu's on the side bar. also go to the links it supplies.
1 week of searching should give you ALL the info you need to know, plus you'll notice that the DSM community is a lot more
patient, relaxed and realistic than the honda boys.

any more info, just ask =)
I'm under the same name on dsmtuners.com
the time will be worth it because these cars can be bombs in disguise pretty easily, you should
at least get to know the common problems so when they happen (and most definatly will) you can avoid the horrible
garage mechanics. these arent easy cars to diagnose, last time i went to a shop the snap on data log said my car was a 1993 jeep wrangler.

Are you looking to keep stock or modify? cant go in between, it just wont happen =D
Jason
Hi Jason, thank you VERY much for the info. it is much appreciated. As suggested I will do some research before jumping onto something.

Thanks again,
Nick

Si tu quelque information fait moi signe... et puis oui c'est performant une dsm. Moi je te conseil de te pogner un 93 swaper 6bolt. A cause que tu vas avoir le diff 4 bolt puis les big brake

Patrick@819RC said:
Si tu quelque information fait moi signe... et puis oui c'est performant une dsm. Moi je te conseil de te pogner un 93 swaper 6bolt. A cause que tu vas avoir le diff 4 bolt puis les big brake

It WOULD be nice, but very rare.

There are so many ways you could go. All depends where you wantthe car to end up.

If you have a mechanic that knows dsm's well and will do honest work, or are willing to let someone like camo tuning do it for you, it would be easier. I'm under the impression you own a domestic muscle car, Its so different its insane. If you're mechanically inclined and read instructions well, go for it, its a sick project car!

Best possible scenerio would be to get a 93 or 94 (preferably the stock blue, mmm) with a blown ENGINE, rebuild the engine if you have the $$ or buy a jdm engine with installation for approx 1900$-2200$, depending where you go. Engine land inc. is the cheapest and they seem nice. Then again the user 88 mph on here has some at good prices too. Anyways then you could use the old engine parts. (make sure to keep it, they wont ask you if you want to). That way you can use the stock intake if you want to go big with the engine. If you want to go past 300 hp, start thinking about buying an old block and having it built with 2g internals, they're stronger and hold up to more boost. Get yourself an AWD for sure, fwd blows. torque steer is unreal. dont get a n/t, may as well get a Neon, same engine. Find out the history of the tranny, you will need to check it if uncertain, because 1st gen trannies suck balls. then there are the advantages of 4 bolt rears, but look that up, i'm stuck on fwd until i buy an AWD so i dont know much about that.

I may have a bunch of parts for sale soon, I'm looking around junk yards for cheap moving chasis' to part out as well as use for my super-fleet :D

HAH there's half of the info you need right there.
just look at how easy it is to go fast, boost controller, guage and the "free mods" and you'll be laughing as the WRX's are in your mirror.

:bigup: :bigup: :bigup:

@73vette, did you call my friend? It really has all you need. 4 bolts rear end + 6 bolts motor! :)

All that plus AGX all around, poly bushings, new K104 tires, etc...

Why take a 93 and swap engine? 7bolts aren't so worst. 1gen 7bolt got less crankwalk than 2G, and there is not as much crankwalk as people say! (but it's not cause you over 125000km that you won't got crank, mods can help crank to appear after 200000km or more... doesn't have any importance)

Isn't easier to put 4bolt differential on a early 92 (with 6bolt engine and big brake)? ;)

If you don't know DSM... don't got blown engine. People think it's only swap engine... If it's blown engine and you begin in swap... You'll see what money pit mean.

Take a DSM in good shape, repair it, do little modification, and have fun. The worst DSM model isn't worst at all. On club DSM Québec, there is a lot of early, late 1G and 2G with there own 6 or 7 bolt or whatever the car spec, in the 13sec and lower. There is no problem here.

By the way, FWD are fun too. Less drivetrain problem (tranny, differential, etc...). Sure they got traction problem (too much torque even with base mods), but it so nice to feel the torque steer!!! :)

ya look at the car MonOncTsi is talking about it's a realy a good deal i've seen the car in person *tu*

MyRidzPhucked said:
It WOULD be nice, but very rare.
If you want to go past 300 hp, start thinking about buying an old block and having it built with 2g internals, they're stronger and hold up to more boost. :bigup: :bigup: :bigup:

I think you should stop reading dsmtuners.com and come to dsmquebec.mine.nu to do some reading. :D

Accord94 said:
I think you should stop reading dsmtuners.com and come to dsmquebec.mine.nu to do some reading. :D

True, someone did high 11 with stock 2G engine. It can support 400hp stock, ther is no problem! 6bolts can support 500hp!

Quebec.dsm.org is the reference! :bigup:

Oh that isnt what i meant... I do know that they can hold up real good, i.e. shep
I was looking for the quebec dsm site, thanks =)
Dont diss Tuners though, I would have burned my car if it wasnt for them.

MonOncTsi said:
@73vette, did you call my friend? It really has all you need. 4 bolts rear end + 6 bolts motor! :)

All that plus AGX all around, poly bushings, new K104 tires, etc...
I'm not sure who your reffering to? Sorry I don't remember you giving me anybody's phone number :dunno: :( . Please refresh my memory.

Thank you all very much for the info, it is very appreciated.

I just bought a beater, so that I can get around and take my time to find the best Talon for me.

Thanks,
Nick

Ls Vtec boy said:
AWD are crazy for launch but on highway you will see that hey are heavier than FWD , FWD = highway killer :)

True... it's why I love my FWD DSM, even if there is nothing to do with the 1st and 2nd gear (it's safe : you can't do street racing in city ;) lol).

But DSM are DSM... few mods can do miracle with AWD. Look at AWD DSM trap speed on 1/4... very impressive!

I have to admit that AWD are cool too! ;)

Franky said:
True... it's why I love my FWD DSM, even if there is nothing to do with the 1st and 2nd gear (it's safe : you can't do street racing in city ;) lol).

But DSM are DSM... few mods can do miracle with AWD. Look at AWD DSM trap speed on 1/4... very impressive!

I have to admit that AWD are cool too! ;)

c'mon! admit it I have a cool car! :D :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back