First Oil Change - Break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSX

Legacy Member
Ok get this, the RSX manual says to get my first oil change at...... 8,000Km ! I'm thinking I change it right after break in (1,000-1,200). Does this make sense?

oil change

Well if you plan on driving your car hard, I would definatly suggest changing your oil after the break in period.

I dont have a honda, but its still a jap car.
Nissan Sentra SE with a 2.0l SR20DE

Im really Anal about oil changes though.

1st 1500km
2nd 5000km
3rd 10000km

I did my first early to get rid of the metal residue.
So I could start driving it hard without worries.

Re: oil change

Why did you switch to synthetic? Any advantages?

Keep the OIL

Keep the oil that's in the engine till 8,000km. Honda knows what they are doing. There is a different type of oil in your engine when a car is brand new which is formulated specifically for breaking in the engine.

Be sure to break that engine in exactly like it should be done so it will last and perform like it should.

Re: Keep the OIL

Well The break in Period on my engine was 1000miles.
Which equates to about 1500-1600 km.

There is NO POINT to keeping the oil after that, and changing it IS best, because it gets rid of metal residues caused during the break in period.

Concerning Synthetic oil... Well I can say I felt a difference when I did my oil change... but I have to admit you always feel a difference after any oil change.

MAin reason for me ?

I should be able to run for 10000km on synthetic without changing my oil. But I'll stick to my 5000 change. It cant be bad, and several ppl beleive it is best.

IT doesnt cost me much anyways, 30$ aint the end of the world.

I guess I'll see the difference in 150 000 km.

Re: Keep the OIL

You need to change it at 8000. Like teg92 said, Honda put some special break in oil when the car is new and it is better to keep it as long as supposed. After that they can be done every 5000 kms.
But it's your car so you decide........

oil change

Sorry, if Honda REALLY does put in a different oil for the break in, then you should follow what they say.

I wouldnt want you to hurt your engine on my account.

I know Nissan doesnt do anything of the sort, so thats why I did my oil change so soon.

stick with what honda says....I admit it is scary though... I start to panic at 4000km....and I do use Mobil 1 synthetic

DO NOT CHANGE THE OIL BEFORE 6000 km. I know it sounds silly but there actually are detergents in the original oil that need to work for 6000km. When I bought my SiR in '99 i was told the same thing and I was very skeptical. After researching the issue it I found the truth. After 6000km drop in GOOD synthetic oil at your earliest convienience. But not before....

a lot of manufacturer, Honda, Acura, VW etc...are using that detergent formula...it is scary!...but it work, follow the advice mention before and stick with it...the only time that I suggest to change it before is for maniacs like me...2000km of my driving equals at least 7-10k on normal driving.....;) ROTFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back