Damaged Mother board...Where can I buy a replacement, and is it worth it?

patrickd_21

Hey guys,

I have a Vaio PCG-81214L Laptop and I recently dropped it and damaged the motherboard. I'm a pretty big newb when it comes to computers, so I have the following questions:

- Is it worth buying a new motherboard? The computer is MORE than more than fast enough for what I do with it.
- I'm looking for the cheapest solution
- If it's cheaper to change the mother board, where can I get one?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Are you sure that the motherboard is damaged?

Usually not worth it, motherboards for laptops are usually 150$+ + installation(complete dissassembly and reassembly of the laptop)
You can get them on ebay.

Usually when you drop a laptop the Hard drive can be damaged, because it is fragile due to moving parts inside.

The motherboard on a friend's Dell XPS failed. He ordered the exact same one from ebay, from a seller with a good reputation. 85$ with shipping. Took him about one hour to do the installation using a youtube video, and he has no experience in these things. Works great so far and didn't cost much.

Are you sure that the motherboard is damaged?

Usually not worth it, motherboards for laptops are usually 150$+ + installation(complete dissassembly and reassembly of the laptop)
You can get them on ebay.

Usually when you drop a laptop the Hard drive can be damaged, because it is fragile due to moving parts inside.

90% sure. I thought it was the HD at first. Had the IT guy at work swap it out. Still didnt work...He said it was the motherboard.

The motherboard on a friend's Dell XPS failed. He ordered the exact same one from ebay, from a seller with a good reputation. 85$ with shipping. Took him about one hour to do the installation using a youtube video, and he has no experience in these things. Works great so far and didn't cost much.

This is promising lol

Honestly Pat you're a smart kid. You'll manage the DIY. As said, try to find a vid online. Almost all laptops are built the same-ish.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just treat it delicately, take your time, don't force and use the proper tools.

It's really not that bad.

si tu fait pas la job toi meme sa faut pas la peine la motherboard.... parconte tu peux pogner la board sur ebay entre 40-80$ si tu va dans une shop y va presque te charger le meme prix pour installer la board que la board elle meme

donc resulta tu fait le job toi meme win.... sinon sa va te couter around 200 en tout et partout parce que ya pas juste la board si tu est newb ben ya un formatage apres l'avoir installer sinon tu va te peter des bleu screen all the time
tant qu'a moi le monde pas allaise avec les computer deverait pas toucher les laptop mais les desktop sans probleme ! only my opinion but i have all my I.T certification

Honestly Pat you're a smart kid. You'll manage the DIY. As said, try to find a vid online. Almost all laptops are built the same-ish.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just treat it delicately, take your time, don't force and use the proper tools.

It's really not that bad.

Yep I can take care of it myself, or worse case scenario, the IT guy at work will do it for free. I may do it myself to learn.
si tu fait pas la job toi meme sa faut pas la peine la motherboard.... parconte tu peux pogner la board sur ebay entre 40-80$ si tu va dans une shop y va presque te charger le meme prix pour installer la board que la board elle meme

donc resulta tu fait le job toi meme win.... sinon sa va te couter around 200 en tout et partout parce que ya pas juste la board si tu est newb ben ya un formatage apres l'avoir installer sinon tu va te peter des bleu screen all the time
tant qu'a moi le monde pas allaise avec les computer deverait pas toucher les laptop mais les desktop sans probleme ! only my opinion but i have all my I.T certification

So how do I know which Mother board I need. I type in PCG-81214L motherboard on ebay and google, and nothing comes up... Is there a specific PN I should be looking for for the motherboard?

When u take the motherboard out, it should be written somewhere on the pcb board worst case scenario.
this.

Ignore what raptorjesus said, the chipset wont help because there are millions of different motherboards using the same chipset model.

motherboard PN number is what you need at this point, its written somewhere on the actual motherboard.dissassembly required.

this.

Ignore what raptorjesus said, the chipset wont help because there are millions of different motherboards using the same chipset model.

motherboard PN number is what you need at this point, its written somewhere on the actual motherboard.dissassembly required.

Ok so I'll be taking it apart Saturday! Thanks for the help so far everyone!

If you are sure it's just the motherboard and that the hard drive is intact, then buy the motherbizzoard and change it bro.

If you are sure it's just the motherboard and that the hard drive is intact, then buy the motherbizzoard and change it bro.

Yeah theres a very slim chance that the cpu or ramnwould be defective. If the tech hasnt tried reseating the ram in the slots try that too. The shock might have move it a little resulting in a bad connectinf. Symptoms would be no image when turning it on

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Computer turns on and then upon booting up gives a black screen that says "error loadin operating system"

I opened up the laptop. Where in this mess of numbers would I find the PN to the motherboard?

image_zpsdeb683cb.jpg

Mbx 235.

If not one of the other large alphanumeric digits in that "paragraph"

Would google myself to confirm but its annoying by phone lol

Error loading operating system.... even though you said the tech swapped HDDs, it sounds like a harddrive/OS issue. A dead motherboard will usually not give any image whatsoever to the screen.

I'd put 5$ on the table betting you'd change motherboards and you'd get the same issue. If your tech didnt put a new hard drive in and tried to install windows then I wouldnt trust his diagnostic.

Error loading operating system.... even though you said the tech swapped HDDs, it sounds like a harddrive/OS issue. A dead motherboard will usually not give any image whatsoever to the screen.

I'd put 5$ on the table betting you'd change motherboards and you'd get the same issue. If your tech didnt put a new hard drive in and tried to install windows then I wouldnt trust his diagnostic.

I'll ask him what he did exactly and report back. Thanks for the help guys!

Ok so I spoke to the IT guy and apparently he swapped out the HD for a new one, and replaced the memory with new memory as well. He said he wanted to rule out everything. With the new parts, it still give the "Error loading Operating System" message

17767_10152720854390392_1612732664_n.jpg

So I would assume that the only part left to be changed would be the mother board, correct?

Did you reinstall windows? I mean, did he swap a HDD with windows already installed on it?

I would try to completely format the HDD and then fresh install windows.

Back