Aftermarket Cpu Cooler

Mtl Racing

Okay so i need a little help on finding the right aftermarket cpu cooler for my pc. I have been having problems when playing games ever since i bought my pc. Which was about 2 months ago. I had created a thread about it too which convinced me to buy a better power supply but it still didn't fix the problem.

this is the link to the thread.

http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?843618-Weird-Problem-Need-Help

I thought heat wasn't the problem at first because the temperatures seemed normal but after more research and testing i am convinced that heat has been the problem from the start.

So what i am looking for is a cheap aftermarket cpu cooler ($40 or less) that is quite compact because i have a mid tower and very limited space. And also one that will be compatible of course.

This is my last attemp at trying to fix this problem, i have wasted too much money on this shitty computer already. I bought this pc which was already built by the manufacturer and i have added a new graphic card, power supply and added an extra fan. If i had built a system from scratch for the same amount i spent on this thrash i would have a pretty decent gaming system right now and I certainly wouldn't be making this thread.

Anyway, so this is the config.

Cpu: AMD A10-5700
Quadcore 3.4 Ghz
Socket FM2

Psu: Antec HCG-620M
Memory: 8 Gb
Hard drive: 1 TB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD7770 Ghz Edition

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The answer to you question is Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 CPU heatsink. At minimum the heatsink should fit, if you got space install the fan, if not, its not that big of a deal.

On a brand new setup like yours there shouldn't be overheating problems. Where did you buy your computer? Do you know if they put thermal paste on your CPU? (if they didnt they are complete idiots). What program are you using to monitor you temperatures? And what are the temps while gaming?

Thanks for the speedy response.

I bought my pc at STO centre d'ordinateurs. They aren't the ones who built the computer. It was basically just shipped to them by Asus. I cleaned everything up last week and removed the heat sink too. There is some thermal paste but it doesn't fully cover the cpu. I just ordered a tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound earlier today just in case. I will remove this paste and apply some new one when my order arrives.

I use speedfan to monitor my temperatures, but speccy looks better so i'm gonna try it out. My cpu temperature seem to reach 60c when problems occur or the game freezes. It's usually at 55c when i am gaming but it all depends on my room temperature. On a hot day, i can forget about playing some more demanding games lol.

Temperatures have never been a problem on other computers i've had even when the room temperature was pretty high. I guess the airflow is not really good in this case.

Also what is funny is since i installed my new power supply and removed the cheap one i had bought, my pc has been running a couple degrees hotter. Probably because the other one had 2 fans, one on the inside and one on the back which pushed the air out. Anyway, i guess it doesn't make that big of a difference because i still have the same problem.

I got one of these years ago for my gaming pc and still running just fine on my newer setup, I got tired of the original cpu fan noise and this one is stupid silent. not that expensive and runs at idle most of the time on an i5@3.8GHz

I got the H60

yeah you might have an overheating problem, i'm reading that your CPU will start throttling at 70 degrees.

That Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 CPU heatsink you suggested looks like a good deal. It has excellent reviews and is $35.99 on Newegg. I checked the specifications and it seems to be compatible with what i have. Can you comfirm this?

Thanks for your help btw.

Cool but it's an FM2 socket i have not FM1 lol. I wrote it in my first post.

*Edit. Nevermind, i found my answer.

Last edited:
Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 is the best price/efficiency you can ever get, extra bracket for second fan is even provided for push pull setup. As for the thermal paste, the most common error people are doing is that they put too much of it. Basically it has less thermal conductivity than solid metal and it's role is to fill micro scratches and imperfections on the cpu and cooler base. Spread the whole surface of the cpu and cooler base with the credit card, very thin layer, even if you can still see the letters on the cpu it is fine, then put half rice grain amount of paste and install.

Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 is the best price/efficiency you can ever get, extra bracket for second fan is even provided for push pull setup. As for the thermal paste, the most common error people are doing is that they put too much of it. Basically it has less thermal conductivity than solid metal and it's role is to fill micro scratches and imperfections on the cpu and cooler base. Spread the whole surface of the cpu and cooler base with the credit card, very thin layer, even if you can still see the letters on the cpu it is fine, then put half rice grain amount of paste and install.

Thanks. Indeed it's very popular and looks like a great cooler but i'm still a bit hesitant. I just watched some youtube videos and that thing is huge. It might be a problem with my mid tower case and limited space. I'm looking at other options right now, something more compact. But i will definitely keep that one in mind.

^^ measuring tape is your friend then

feature9.jpg

I finally ordered the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 + Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I will update with results once i get the stuff.

The CM Hyper 212 comes with its own thermal paste tube. It doesn the job fine.

Honestly i'm wondering why you're going through all the trouble, the build obviously has a problem if its brand new, and overheating close to max temperatures.

Well i had ordered the tube before wanting to buy a cooler anyway.

I'm not sureif it's a defect or not, but it is an overheating problem that's for sure. Maybe i should have brought the pc back to the store to get it checked since it has a 1 year warranty at the store and 3 years at Asus if i'm right. But now that i have changed the power suppyly myself, I'm not sure if I broke the warranty.

If this doesn't do the job, i'm going back to the store to unload my wrath.

And it's not like i'm pushing it to the limit either. I usually like to play my games at 55-60 fps down to 40-45 fps in action. If i get anything lower than that, i turn down the settings.

Maybe i got a rare case of cpu defect or shitty heatsink/fan. I don't always get this problem and my computer has been running perfectly fine other than that. It's usually when i play bigger games that the problem occurs. I did some research all over the internet and couldn't find anything like this. (Game freezing, than black screen, than back to the game at 15 fps and laggy as fuck.) Either that or the game just freezes and i have to ctrl+alt+delete to quit.

Anyway i guess i'll have to wait a couple of days to know.

What i think it is, is when my temperature gets too high my cpu decides to give less power to the game so it will not overheat. Isn't that cpu throttling?

When it happens, if i quit and restart the game the problem persists. I just get back in a slow ass game running at 15 fps. Even if i try 20 minutes later nothing changes. But if i reboot my computer and start the game again, everything is fine, as if something had reseted. Thats until i get the problem again.

I can't really find better words to explain the problem. That pretty much sums it up. I was hoping someone with the same problem would have a miracle solution lol.

When my old computer's video card used to overheat, my computer used to reboot. It did not affect my game it just simply rebooted if it got too hot. But that was the video card.

By the way i appreciate all your help Raptor jesus.

ohcrap2_zps3d088fa5.png

Fuck Fuck Fuck.

Received my Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. Open my computer case. Doesn't fit.

To my surprise, it would fit perfectly inside the case, but the problem is the fucking length of this thing. I won't be able to close the side panel of my computer because this thing is too fuckin long. I didn't think this would be a problem since the width of my old computer is just slightly longer and it's a full tower case. But it seems this thing was made to barely fit in a normal case since even in a normal case it would be really close if not touch the side panel. Why make this fuckin thing so damn long?!

What a fuckin waste. I won't even be able to use it.

Did you try playing games while the case is opened? Try it and see what happens ... If problem persists install the cooler and play games see if it still happens ... If it dosnt you have the answer to your problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Did you try playing games while the case is opened? Try it and see what happens ... If problem persists install the cooler and play games see if it still happens ... If it dosnt you have the answer to your problem.

I already know the answer to my problem. I just don't want to leave the case open permanetly, thats why i won't install the cooler.

Well then just return it to the store after installing the stock parts back on it

umm I hate to tell you but I don't think its the cpu over heating but in fact the "GPU" as I was having exactly the same problem as you and thought it was the cpu also, but it turned out it was the video card ... only happens when I'm gaming but doing just normal things it would be fine, I recommend getting a GPU monitor and seeing how hot the GPU is getting, mine used to go upto 75°c and I would start having all sorts of trouble...just saying is all

edit: also I would recommend installing GPU monitor app so you can set/control the fan to stay on longer/more like 90% so that way it'll stay cooler... I found that helped also

umm I hate to tell you but I don't think its the cpu over heating but in fact the "GPU" as I was having exactly the same problem as you and thought it was the cpu also, but it turned out it was the video card ... only happens when I'm gaming but doing just normal things it would be fine, I recommend getting a GPU monitor and seeing how hot the GPU is getting, mine used to go upto 75°c and I would start having all sorts of trouble...just saying is all

edit: also I would recommend installing GPU monitor app so you can set/control the fan to stay on longer/more like 90% so that way it'll stay cooler... I found that helped also

Nope it's not the Gpu and i'm 100% sure about that. Thanks for the input anyway.

My Gpu on idle is usually from 32-34 C and i think i never saw it go over 51-52 C. Btw i applied some new thermal paste without changing the stock heatsing and got my cpu to be a couple degrees colder. I went 2,3 days without a problem, until a day or two ago when it was probably hotter inside and my game froze. Happened once. So it's really not the Gpu. I actually would have prefered the Gpu to be the problem since it's less of a hazzle to bring it back and get a refund.

I ordered this cheap little thing that will do the job better than the original heatsing/fan and is much smaller than the Hyper Evo 212. It will help keep the temperatures under control when gaming and at that price i really have nothing to lose. It has great reviews and many people say they got their temperatures to drop 10 c.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999050

Plus, it's easy to install just like a normal heatsink basically and it has heatpipes too which is quite interesting. And with my kind of setup this thing is perfect.

I ordered 2 days ago so it should arrive anytime soon. I will post an update.

Last edited:
it's too bad for the Hyper Evo 212. It really looks like a great cooler. I guess i'll have to leave it in my closet with the other power supply i bought for nothing too, until one day i need it. Lol

Back