Problem with laptop after adding RAM

20InchChrome

So as the title says I'm having a serious problem with my laptop after I added RAM. When I press the power button the computer turns on for about 2-3 seconds, the screen is black as if the computer is turned off and I can only hear the fan working after that it turns off by itself. Also the light that indicates if the hardrive is working doesn't turn on. I took out the new RAM and then put back the old RAM but that doesn't change anything. Also when swaping the new RAM in the first time I forgot to remove the battery.

My worst fear is that I have damaged the motherboard. If I were to need to replace the mobo how much would that cost around in parts and labour? What places could I get my laptop (its a Toshiba) serviced around (preferably) Laval?

Any help or other theories on why it doesn't work would be appreciated.

Did you put the right type in?

Did you power off the computer completely before changing the ram?

not what I want to hear but i was kinda expecting it

is there hope if when I connect an external hard drive via a USB post the external hard drive powers up? or does that mean nothing?

Just means the computer can give the port power. In the bios can you check to see if when changing the boot options you can see your hard drive.

Hmm if you can boot on an external drive but cant on ur hdd that means the hdd is dead ! How long have you had the laptop for ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just means the computer can give the port power. In the bios can you check to see if when changing the boot options you can see your hard drive.

can't get into BIOS

Hmm if you can boot on an external drive but cant on ur hdd that means the hdd is dead ! How long have you had the laptop for ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

no i cant boot via an external hdd, only the light on the external hdd turns on indicating its getting power the computer no matyter what powers up for 2 seconds and the n shuts off

pull all your batteries including cmos, and wait 10 minutes, put cmos battery back in. Put original ram stick in, that should do you, I doubt you burnt your laptop out by putting ram in

keep in mind you'll have to redo your bios settings after

Es tu sur que tu mets la ram comme il faut ? Qu'elle est bien entré dans la slot ?

oui le RAM est placé comme il faut

pull all your batteries including cmos, and wait 10 minutes, put cmos battery back in. Put original ram stick in, that should do you, I doubt you burnt your laptop out by putting ram in

keep in mind you'll have to redo your bios settings after

but i put the ram in while the battery was still attached, doesn't this mess things up?

I looked at disassembly videos on youtube cause that the only way I can get to the CMOS battery is opening the laptop up and its looks to complicated for me.

Last edited:
Non sa brise rien si l'ordi est éteint.

Pas totallement d'accord.

La charge est dans l'ordinateur, même si il n'y a pas de pouvoir dirigé vers la RAM je suis pas convaincu que ca shortera pas.

Mais en effet je pointerais plus vers soit le motherboard ou le BIOS , qui sont dans le fond liés. Le BIOS si t'es chanceux. Trouve ta batterie de CMOS, reset ca aux factory defaults si tu y accèdes.

you static pwned your laptop mobo.

or you put a ram module thats too big/not supported by your mobo

had the same symptoms with G-skills memory. My stock mobo voltage was 1.8 v. On g-skillz forums, user recommended to o/v it @2.0 to 2.2v.

It doesn't mean that's your problem, but you can always find this info on your ram brand forums. But in most mobo's laptop, you can't o/v or o/c anything.

Back