Problem with power (need help to find solution)

DüBWëïsër1

hey turbo junkies,i need help!! i just sent my car to a known shop and swapped out my old stock turbo and up graded to a k04 from an audi tt but i seem to be having a problem at about 3500 rpm (beginning of boost) the car seems like it is starting to cut out/putter I'm wondering if it is an injector problem,fuel rail/regulator,because it kind of seems like there isn't a proper gas flow and it is running to lean,the ecu is also chipped (if that plays a role or not i don't know)i am wondering if it is just something small or a quick fix or if it is a bigger problem
please help if you know what is going on or if you can guide me to finding a solution to this problem.
thank you very much for your time!

Any check engine/flashing check engine when jerking?
I've seen many weak coilpacks begining to fail upon higher boost on 1.8t's, i would check for that and probably do the plugs while you're at it.

the plugs were done at the same time as the swap,I'm not 100% sure about the flashing check engine i will have to see tomorrow

btw the car was running fine before the turbo swap,the reason why i got the swap was because the stock turbo was shot and i took the opportunity to go for an upgrade

Well as i said, more boost = more fuel = harder to ignite, if you have a code reader, look out for intermitent misfire, it should look something like this;

16685 - Cylinder 1 P0301 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent

16686 - Cylinder 2 P0302 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent

16687 - Cylinder 3 P0303 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent

16688 - Cylinder 4 P0304 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent

If you get a misfire on one particular Cylinder, clear the codes and swap the coilpack of that cylinder.. go do a test run and re-read the codes. If the misfire # changed, it would mean a bad coilpack, if not, it could be a clogged injector/bad spark plug. Pull the spark plug and look at the color of the tip. White means it would be lean (most likely injector) and darker/black would mean it's not firing/running rich.

the maf is brand new i also read online it could be the mac sensor though

could the problem be bigger injectors = more fuel and problem is stock fuel rail? should that be upgraded??

stock fuel rail will handle mostly any kind of injectors you'll give it... at least, anything relevant to a k04 setup. I'd check the fpr BEFORE the fuel rail. But as i said, scan for any code before dismantling the car

okay thanks for your help guys i am going to try something first (replace the fuel regulator,bosh plugs) and then try running it like that and scanning for the cylinders
i will let you guys know the results one i replace the parts and take it for a spin

No misfire while getting into boost, i drove the car, its almost as if its going into limp mode, it doesnt always do it, sometimes it cuts out and other times it pulls just fine, but the fact that its backfiring would make sense if it wasnt igniting properly

scan for codes! put ngk bkr7e .032 gap for your tune! if there not already in there. get the injectors tested and cleaned by a shop.

when they did the swap they put in new ngk plugs (not sure what model) but i was thinking to change them to boshe? since you live near the same area do you know of any shops that can test and clean the injectors? because the injectors were used when i bought the setup and i plan to take them out soon because i will be putting in a custom intake so i could send them out at the same time as i do the intake

hey dubweiser a few of us found the bkr7e ngk's to to de best job for any ko4 tuned 1.8t engine apr,unitronic etc, and as for the injector cleaning and flow testing go to Lew Dieselec 96 Leacock drive Pointe-Claire 514-694-1491 went there a while back for my 550cc deatchworks on my sr20det amazing! or you can go to urotuning.com and get spankin new oem audi tt 386cc injectors for ~360$ the set. good luck!

wouldn't it make more sense that the computer is going into limp mode because it is seeing an overboost condition, if not you can check to make sure that that the vacuum lines are properly hooked up to the wastegate. check for codes first

are you running an afr gauge?

res. test on the n75 valve also! swap an n75 with one of ur freinds see if that helps. my n75 was putting me in limp on and off. check vac leaks also as stated above!! and again check for codes lol

on you're fuel rail, look for the fuel regulator, on it it should said 3 or 4 , bars u need 5 bar i beleive, if you have a 3 bar that could be you're fuel restriction problem

Back