HD problem

logik23

Legacy Member
I have an HP Elitebook with Win7 and it worked perfectly since I got it last winter (used).

I'm staying at a hotel right now and used it last night. This morning I did not touch it and left for the day.

I just got back to my room and when I try to boot my computer it just says "non system disk or disk error" and doesn't allow me to do anything.

So I entered the HP System Diagnostics and when I run an HD test, it says "test failed, disk not installed"

What the fuck???

any external hdd or usb accessories plugged in at the moment? Any cd in drive? remove everything and try again, including sd cards and CDs. It could be your hdd is corrupted

No CDs in it, only thing connected was my USB cable for my phone and it still don't work after I removed it.

If the HDD is corrupted and I replace it, is there any way to get my files?

No CDs in it, only thing connected was my USB cable for my phone and it still don't work after I removed it.

If the HDD is corrupted and I replace it, is there any way to get my files?

if it really is teh HDD that's dead then your chances of file recovery are quite low unless you want to fork out 1000s of dollars for a professional recovery company to get it back for you.

You CAN always try the freezer trick to see if it'll bring it back to life, but I haven't had any luck with that.

Go to bios and check boot sequence, see if the HDD is still listed at all.
Otherwise hard drives on laptops are usually the first and easiest thing to remove - open it up and see if evertthing is plugged properly. Remove it and put back also.

Hope this helps.

Back