Does data from USB go through the CPU when copying to SATA?

lord_galathon

SPECS: AMD FX-6100, Asus M5A97 R2.0, 2x8Gb GSkill Black RAM (total 16Gb), AData 260Gb SSD (System), 2x1Tb Seagate HDD (data only), ATI (yes still ATI) Radeon 6950 flashed to 6970.

Here's what's happening on my main PC:

-Started Sat-afternoon with glitches while video editing, I was getting classic pixelation like when the data stream is corrupted.

-At first I thought it was Windows Movie Maker going SNAFU on me, so I tried updating Windows 7 as it had some Movie Maker updates available.

-Reboot after updating = BSOD

-Safe mode = BSOD

-Run Memtest from UBCD USB version. Memory is OK.

-ABLE to enter BIOS no problems, flash BIOS to latest version in case but reboot after flashing BIOS = BSOD.

-Try booting with Acronis 2010 USB boot to apply the monthly backup I make, PC reboots after freezing, I try the same with Acronis 2014 trial and I get to the cloning screen, start the cloning process but fails with read errors from external USB HDD.

-Try booting with Ubuntu 13.04 64bit USB boot, PC boots to Ubuntu trial, then when trying to install Ubuntu (smarter than Windows) gives a FILECOPY ERROR and says to check install media for corruption. Install Ubuntu on laptop to check install media, install media is OK.

-Run UBCD diagnostics, everything passes EXCEPT VGA card (6950 flashed to 6970) so I went to Canada Computers and bought a R270x and new SSD drive for good measure.

-Return home, install new VGA card and SSD drive, install Windows 7 fresh from USB, install works flawlessly and quick, reboot, gets missing file errors, retry install, gets OTHER missing file error, try third time, missing file changes again. In no case does Win7 boot.

-CPU runs cool, it WAS overclocked (3.4Ghz > 4.0Ghz) but never ran hotter than about 65°C or so, under heavy load. Ran stable like that for a little over a year.

-Touch the chipset heatsink, it's super hot to the touch, cannot keep my finger on it.

It's the 970 chipset heatsink identified here, NOT the power phase one.

overview.jpg

Question as the topic.

I'm thinking it has to be either the CPU (fx-6100) or the motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 but I want to figure out which one, the lockups I'm getting are FILE related, files are missing, files are corrupted, so the question is:

Does the data stream from USB go through the CPU to get to SATA? Or will it transit from the Southbridge (USB) into the Northbridge (SATA) through the chipset only?

Do you think it's the CPU or the Motherboard?

probably not the cpu, have you tried getting a big fan over your chipset to rule out overheating?

Yes, I have a temp sensor on my casing and the external heatsink stays below 35°C with the fan, but without it goes well above 45°C.

I've not tried putting an IR temp gauge on it (gun) but I should. I doubt it's the CPU too but I don't want to start spending another 300$ on both, I've already dropped 360$ on SSD and VGA...

Thanks!

I don't buy motherboards with normal caps on them, they're solid state caps and do not sweat. I can't see anything wrong physically on the motherboard.

Everything works perfectly after swapping the motherboard so yeah, it's the motherboard.

For a while I thought it might have been the power supply but it's okay after changing the main board, which ironically costs less than a decent power supply...

I don't buy motherboards with normal caps on them, they're solid state caps and do not sweat. I can't see anything wrong physically on the motherboard.

Everything works perfectly after swapping the motherboard so yeah, it's the motherboard.

For a while I thought it might have been the power supply but it's okay after changing the main board, which ironically costs less than a decent power supply...

Ca ces ton probleme la meilleure piece de ton ordi devrait etre ton mb. Donc couter un peu plus chere et avoir la sqinte paix!

Posted via Topify on Android

La meilleure piece de mon pc est la carte de son m audio, suivie de la carte graphique. Le motherboard etait un asus mais quand meme moins cher que mon power supply THERMALTAKE DE 1050W qui avait coute un peu plus de 200$.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

lol deux semaines + tard pis la j'ai une barrette de 8Gb qui me pete dans face... Du Corsair. C'est la deuxieme Corsair qui me pete dans face...

Back