anybody buy the new LED lights for the house?

delsolxxxsir

Legacy Member
I currently used GU10 lights, have a shitload of them... I was wondering about changing them to LED lights but goddamn... SOOO MANY on ebay and shit... none that I can see first...

from what I read, none will duplicate halogen...

since mine are 50w, some say 4w to 7w will duplicate the power. looking at about 500 lumens.... and 3200k

now, size and models... holy shit, so many!!!

anybody here has some?

big difference in consumption? light? where to buy them?

thanks!

- ebay are not CSA in most cases
- Most of led , the color is awful
- We are in quebec, you need heat, keep the gu10 halogen. heat from halogen , is less heat from your heat main source. And in summer , you use way less your light since the sun is up longer.
- so you'll save a bit, but not that much for trouble. (the saving are in the non-heating time; if your main heating system is more efficient than a resistive heater, in that case a tungsten filament. And loses in attic or ceiling)
- led are pollution more since plastic + electronic circuit
- standard hallogen will last over 2000 hours (even if a lot of on/off) . Led, 15-30k hours is true for the led itself, not for the transfo, on/off will decrease live, I already change 3 of my 8 led in 4 years. (2 philips, and 1 standard brand , yes the one at 30$ for a single gu10)
- halogen is cheaper ( about 1.20$/ea in a box of 10), it comes about the same in final.

if its outside, so yes! go with led.

A friend of mine did a final bachelor research in ing at ets, and in Qc it's not that efficient.

You can go to multi luminaire, they have a lot , you can test.
Or at ikea for real cheap ass led light.

Last edited:
I currently used GU10 lights, have a shitload of them... I was wondering about changing them to LED lights but goddamn... SOOO MANY on ebay and shit... none that I can see first...

from what I read, none will duplicate halogen...

since mine are 50w, some say 4w to 7w will duplicate the power. looking at about 500 lumens.... and 3200k

now, size and models... holy shit, so many!!!

anybody here has some?

big difference in consumption? light? where to buy them?

thanks!

The difference in consumption is the main reason for buying LEDs. Now if you buy some over-priced stuff, then it's kinda counter-productive. At least for your wallet.

I have a few 5w GU10 LEDs in my house and I would say the output is like 40w halogens. I am satisfied with the color (warm white, around 3000k) and how they look.

One thing you can do is check out RONA once in a while. Sometimes they will have promotions that include a rebate from Hydro-Quebec. This way you get a suposely good product with a warranty and that ends up being reasonnably priced. You can return it if you're not satisfied.

bought mine at home depot for inside, about 8$ each and outside i bought them at costco about 15$ a piece. I got bright white everywhere, like them, no heat in summer, and good light output with only 5w

The difference in consumption is the main reason for buying LEDs. Now if you buy some over-priced stuff, then it's kinda counter-productive. At least for your wallet.

I have a few 5w GU10 LEDs in my house and I would say the output is like 40w halogens. I am satisfied with the color (warm white, around 3000k) and how they look.

One thing you can do is check out RONA once in a while. Sometimes they will have promotions that include a rebate from Hydro-Quebec. This way you get a suposely good product with a warranty and that ends up being reasonnably priced. You can return it if you're not satisfied.

in direct consumption, yes. A standard light is about 20% energy in light and 80% in heat. In winter you'll save almost nothing , because you NEED this 80% heat anyway. And in summer you'll wont use it that much.

So no, there's no saving to do VS enviromental effect. Its even worst since they have rare earth extract in it.

but

sme are fun, for the embiance , like this one . But forget about warm white.
You have also led strips.
Or even philips wifi light, like the one at apple store.

magic-lighting-led-light-bulb-and-remote.jpg

Last edited:
I work for Philips and the EnduraLED series is awesome..

Philips-EnduraLED-bulb-e1287518130458.jpg

I switched over to it a few months ago and while they are not cheap (~45$) they are worth it.
i used the 60w equivalent (800lm) and they light bright as fuck!

Bought some at IKEA for the condo. I don't think it's worth it price wise. I will buy regular cheap ones next time.

I don't see how 45$ for a SINGLE light is worth it. Money wise that is...

22 years life duration with average on time.
I had them for free so it didn't bother me, but if i ever had to buy replacements i would do so without remorse.

ju01.jpg

I think is all about the vibe...but you can call me Philips ambassador

IMG_20121124_101225_zps5a329ce4.jpg

This were the 1st ones and I ended up replacing the whole hosue with them.
At some point there were some $5 rebate / bulb from hydro if I recall

^^ And what the hell is this suposed to be used for in a house ? (except a bar/man cave or something)

Back