New Honda/Michelin racing series

Status
Not open for further replies.

west aust

from canadian driver

Montreal, Quebec - Honda Canada announced the return of the Honda/Michelin Challenge Series to Canada. The new regional "spec" racing series will feature stock Honda Civic DX Coupes and will return Honda Canada to the grassroots racing of the past. A formal race schedule will be announced at a later date, but a minimum of 10 races will be held in Ontario and Quebec during 2004. The new series is scheduled to include a race in conjunction with the Grand Prix of Canada Formula One race weekend in Montreal. It is anticipated that for 2005, the series will be expanded to include western Canada.

The single-marque road racing series was originally launched in 1975 with the Honda Civic Hatchback. During its 17-year run, the series is estimated to have attracted more than 400 amateur racers. The series also involved well-known Canadian race drivers such as Richard Spenard, Tony Morris, Frank Allers, and Formula One World Driving Champion Jacques Villeneuve.

"Honda has a long history of racing," said Kalim Ansari, executive vice president of Honda Canada Inc. "It is part of our company's culture, and we are very excited about bringing this series back to the Canadian market. The Honda/Michelin Challenge Series represents a significant part of our heritage and today's announcement will allow us to share that heritage with a new generation of Honda customers and Canadian motorsports fans."

"While there are a number of details still to be finalized, we are confident that this series will be a positive boost to the Canadian motorsports community," Ansari said. "We are working to have all the details in place and the necessary product available from our dealers by next month for all aspiring racing enthusiasts."

if racing compares to the series in the 80's racing should be good

it's confirmed now? there were rumors but nobody at honda was confirming it

that was some of the best racing, ever

I remember looking forward to the Honda race almost as much as the F1 race back then

Last edited:
blacksheep said:
it's confirmed now? there were rumors but nobody at honda was confirming it

that was some of the best racing, ever

I remember looking forward to the Honda race almost as much as the F1 race back then

they will be stock 2004 dx?? any mods? other than safety cage and no air bags??

They made the announcement at the show yesterday. It is confirmed with complete details released in mid february.

schedule and details to come later

they are close to an agreement with the F1 gp to race there (honda is a major sponsor of the canadian gp)

physician said:
they will be stock 2004 dx?? any mods? other than safety cage and no air bags??
Probably same as before, cage / interior strip / racing seat plus a spec wheel and tire upgrade

Also I'd guess a spec "springs - shocks - brake pad" package. The shocks on those cars are CRAP, I can't see them holding up to a single race.

wooooo,woooo..... i used to love that series, and i agree it was as much fun as f1 for me aswell.......i hope this happens !!!!
there is one more advantage as well, it makes great race cars for real grassroots racers after the "pro's" are done with them ........

will Jacques Villeneuve really race in that serie? that would kick ass!! And if they race et gilles villeneuve circuit that would be kick ass by the tonne!!

B16A_BRUN said:
will Jacques Villeneuve really race in that serie? that would kick ass!! And if they race et gilles villeneuve circuit that would be kick ass by the tonne!!

I seriously doubt Jacques Villeneuve will ever race at the amateur rank again....

What the article says is that JC USED to race in the H/M series, a long time ago; WAY before he even turned pro.

FunP0lice said:
I seriously doubt Jacques Villeneuve will ever race at the amateur rank again....

What the article says is that JC USED to race in the H/M series, a long time ago; WAY before he even turned pro.
i'm sure we will see some local old racing hero's come out of retirement however!

funny, i really used to follow the local racing around alot, in the late 80's + early 90's(a freind used to race), and i never remember j.v. driving in the michelin
series, the first i can remember seeing him (out-side of driving schools)was formule atlantic ....

silver7 said:
i'm sure we will see some local old racing hero's come out of retirement however!

funny, i really used to follow the local racing around alot, in the late 80's + early 90's(a freind used to race), and i never remember j.v. driving in the michelin
series, the first i can remember seeing him (out-side of driving schools)was formule atlantic ....

JV the Golden Boy never raced in the H-M series, but the original (the true!) JV did in the 70s.

And I would pay good money to see Coco in a racecar again!!!

And I'm pretty sure many racing stalwarts of the 80s/early 90s will come out of the woodwork to take part in this series.

Can't wait!

kool pics, kinda neat little old hondas and some other guy in the last photo ..... :rolleyes: what was his name ????? g.v. i think :p
the fist shot looks like one of my old hondas ...mine was a 79 i bought for 75$

La Coupe Écho va etre beaucoup mieux. Plus abordable, plus performante et plus agréable a piloter.

That article is full of error , Gilles Villeneuve raced in Honda michelin and le volant quebecois

and those 2 serie Echo and Honda will be the same song (shit) as it was before . The best cheater will won , not the best driver . Even if the motor are seal , that is just a little obstacle to cheating .

and the winner is : biggest budget and the best cheater !!! *td*

Mart B17a said:
That article is full of error , Gilles Villeneuve raced in Honda michelin and le volant quebecois

and those 2 serie Echo and Honda will be the same song (shit) as it was before . The best cheater will won , not the best driver . Even if the motor are seal , that is just a little obstacle to cheating .

and the winner is : biggest budget and the best cheater !!! *td*

Dunno if I would be that harsh Mart, but you are right that the Echo series will suck the big one. It starts off as a bunch of buddies getting a couple of sponsors to get 10 low price shit boxes on the track, then they try to sell the others for 5K more to unsuspecting racers. The series will be downright slow and with a bunch of ex rally guys racing.....well maybe the off road excursions will be fun to watch.

The Honda series looks to be really a battle of finance and budget with real shit Civics. I bet a clean 91 dx can kick the shit out of a 2004 model.

Well, my old 88 Honda Michelin lapped St-Eustache in 1:08 with 92 hp, so we can compare with that. :)

Hey Vincent

C'est quand le prochain événement de LAPS? Si j'ai bien compris, LAPS fait du Solo 1 et CADL du Solo 2? Est-ce que je suis dans les patates?

Lee said:
C'est quand le prochain événement de LAPS? Si j'ai bien compris, LAPS fait du Solo 1 et CADL du Solo 2? Est-ce que je suis dans les patates?
C'est en plein ca. Il y a d'autres club pour le solo 2 mais uniquement le LAPS pour le solo 1.

Voici l'horaire (pas encore 100% officiel) de LAPS :
- 23 mai St-Eustache (CQ)
- 12 juin Sanair Drag
- 10 juillet Sanair Drag
- 11 juillet Sanair Tri-oval(CQ)
- 1er août St-Eustache
- 8 août Shannonville
- 4 septembre Sanair Drag(CQ)
- 25 septembre St-Eustache
- 24 octobre Watkins Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.