Who can make me a custom "Stealthbox"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashblade

I a getting a sub for my car soon, but I don't want to loose any trunk space. Nothing too crazy, the sub is more for SQ rather than max DB.

JL makes a Stealthbox link
for my car, but I have a few issues with it.

#1 - it's on the wrong side for my car, my 6 CD changer is on the left side of the trunk.

#2 - I'm locked into a JL audio 12W3-D2 12" sub. Now this very well might be a great sub, but if I would prefer a 10" and I don't like the idea of being locked in like that...

Sooo... who can make me a custom "Stealthbox" for a JettaIII? Any help, other suggestions etcc... would be greatly appreciated!

well, to buy a Stealth box, I wouldn't recommend. First off cause they are REALLY expensive, and second is cause it won't be a 'perfect' fit. Yes it will fit in your car properly, but for that kind of money got to a pro, and have on made. You have options though....

the wheel well as shown, dificult to mold, but can probably be done on your own if you have experience working with fiberglass.

another option would be available if you were willing to give up your spare tire. You could mold an enclosure into there without a problem. Otherwise your best bet would be to by a regulr sealed enclosure, and shove it out of the way.

Unfortunately I have never worked with fiberglass, or I would have already decided to attempt this route. I may still try this... but I am afraid it might take me a couple tries to get it "right".

I am not actually going go out and buy a stock Stealthbox for the reasons stated above...

What pros should I talk to about this? You say very expensive, yet you don't mention a price...

Well, its hard to state a price on it. The stealthbox I know is a couple bills. Whereas a regular box (of good quality) is just under a $100. And as for a shop making a custom 'stealthbox' fo you.... well they'l charge you alot. Since fiberglass is used, you car has to stay in there garage for measuring, prepping and drying the fiberglass. This takes away a spot in the garage which could be used by another car for a quick install. Also, the labour involved to do all the work. It's a time consuming job to do fibreglass enclosures. this is why I cannot estimate a price...

However it's inexpensive to do it yourself, however, such as myself, you mentioned you have no experience with fibreglass. I'm also interested in building the same project, although I'm scared to try new stuff! :D I have many links that I have read about how to do it. However reading about it, and doing the actual thing are two different things. I would say, do some research and try it. I have a couple links in my bookmarks if you'd like them. Also, take a visit over too http://forum.soundillusions.net and do a search for fibreglass. You'll get alot of info on it that way!

Sounds pretty cool!

I suppose I could drop a < 100$ for a good box as a temp solution and then start working on making my own box :D

If i'm happy what I can make on my own I can make the switch, if not i'll still have the old box

:bigup:

It would be great if you could give me those links from your bookmarks.

Thanks again! :)

ok, sorry took so long.... links are on my other computer, do a search on here for fibreglass.... I think I posted them already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back