Suspension suggestions for Solo2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duberman

My current car has Neuspeed race springs with Boge shock (that's all I could afford at the time) and poly-bushings anywhere possible and RA1's for tires. I was pretty satisfied with the setup and handled great for Solo2 events, of course there's much better.

I'm gona get a new car this year, I wanna try something else but I don't want to end up with something inferior to the previous setup I had. I will do Solo2 events and hopefully try more lapping too.
I was thinking of H&R Race springs with Bilstein or Koni adjustable shocks or the H&R Cup Kit. What's the diff between the Cup Kits vs. Struts/Springs? Which type is more effective? I dont want to end up with something too soft for Solo.

P.S. I'll be getting an Mk3 Golf or Jetta and for race tires I already have my RA1's. If that helps.

89-Trophy-16v said:
My current car has Neuspeed race springs with Boge shock (that's all I could afford at the time) and poly-bushings anywhere possible and RA1's for tires. I was pretty satisfied with the setup and handled great for Solo2 events, of course there's much better.

I'm gona get a new car this year, I wanna try something else but I don't want to end up with something inferior to the previous setup I had. I will do Solo2 events and hopefully try more lapping too.
I was thinking of H&R Race springs with Bilstein or Koni adjustable shocks or the H&R Cup Kit. What's the diff between the Cup Kits vs. Struts/Springs? Which type is more effective? I dont want to end up with something too soft for Solo.

P.S. I'll be getting an Mk3 Golf or Jetta and for race tires I already have my RA1's. If that helps.

Get a set of GroundControl coils overes and Koni Shocks.....get any spring rate you want i'm shure there are some guys on VW forms that know....Sway bars set up for golf i'm at a loss for but i'm shure that a large rear one never hurn a golf if it helps out so much for civic's.

But basicaly i would practice and lear a car, find out how to get 1st gear downshifts smooth and how to push the edge of the car....with RA1's you should do fine.

Thanks for the info T-spec.
I don't really have the $$$ for coilovers. Or else it would have being my pic. Are there any advantages with Cup Kits over the Springs/Strut combo?

I know I'll be fine with the RA1's :D, love them.

89-Trophy-16v said:
Thanks for the info T-spec.
I don't really have the $$$ for coilovers. Or else it would have being my pic. Are there any advantages with Cup Kits over the Springs/Strut combo?

I know I'll be fine with the RA1's :D, love them.

I belive that mk2 golfs are struts all around. which meand i think you can just replace the inserts. For SOLO2...if you leave your suspention stock and just use the RS1 you will be very welll with a 8v..cause your indexed lower so your adjustment would be better.

For instance i might do a 54 seconds run in P2 but if your in stock and do a 62 second run you might actualy do better then me when your indexed (an adjustment of your time based on classment)

Check the requations at autoquebec.qc.ca for SOLO and see what class you will want to be in. Stock is very competative class BTW....those TYPE R's are well set up.

Spring struts are probably better then a cup kit, since cup kits are degined are more for street use andbalanced somfort you tend not to do get alot of deflection when you do a 40km/h 90degree turn. But you will save money by getting the right stuff right away. So mabey un in stock for at least one year and then see what you need.

Cool

I raced a few events at CADL (was a member 2 yrs ago, last yr I bought a condo so couldn't go as much, was only there at the Mecaglisse school) I was in D. Larose's class with his 325, same index with my Mk2 16v, no chances hehehe. I'm getting an Mk3 this year, not as good as an Mk2 but I don't have time for a "hot-rod" anymore.
Thanks for the info T-Spec
And surely I'll see this year at CADL events.

for solo don't get the handr cupkit. it's too low and too soft. It's good for the spirited daily driver, but for solo it's not the greatest. As for strut and sway bars, I've read and agreed that a lower rear sway bar coupled with a front upper strut tie bar is the best combination. Basically it'll allow your car to oversteer a little more than understeer. If you put a sway bar on the front and rear, they basically cancel each other out and give you no huge advantage...

Your neuspeed races are a good choice. You could simply add some koni yellows that have adjustable dampening so you can tweak your settings a little bit. I've heard good things about shine racing's setup as well for solo (http://www.shineracing.com/), but never actually seen it or heard first hand f its performance...

Last, the mk3 jetta is better balanced than the golf so for solo or lapping it'll be a little bit better. On the other hand, the golf is a little lighter...

Nice to see you are still alive Victor! Haven't seen you around in a while!

Yeah I did noticed that my Mk2 Jetta handled better then my Mk2 Golf with the exact same setup (Neuspeed Race, Boge Struts and poly bushings all around and on table). The Jetta seemed to have much more tendencies of oversteering over the Golf.

That's what I'm looking for in the Mk3, but since it's a heavier car I wanted some pointers. Thanks for the info. I ordered a set of H&R Race springs from JAVW's sale, heard good stuff about them.

I'm more leaned over to get a Golf over the Jetta for some hatchback advantages, I mountain bike and rather just put the bikes in the trunk. The jetta is quite annoying when it comes to that.

Slow VW said:
the jetta trunk is huge though! nothing beats a roof rack though for bikes...

Yeah but on the MK2 I actually had to dismantle the 2 wheels and the seat when with the golf with was right in (mk2 jetta's rear seat don't fold). I was never into the roof racks, the price is pretty steep for them unless you end up with a Jetta Trek.

Oh right... forgot the mk2 jetta rears had that plate there.... no worries with the mk3's, they fold down...

for roof racks the price is steep when you purchase new, but you can find used racks on lespac.com for dirt cheap...

Cool I'll check it out.

Yeah that rear plate on the Mk2 Jetta's seems to give a nice advantage in the stiffening the chassis in the rear.

Hi guys ,many different set up could be applied to many different driver.
some like it stif some like it loose.

good shock & good coil for starter.

then see how youre ca reacts , then see what you would like to have & speak to people who know what their talking about, instead of bying everything thats possible to put, and being unhappy with the set-up!

JF@TRACRACINGDEPOT

Last edited:
Well I ordered the H&R Race springs, what would be recommended for struts? I hear some poeple recommend adjustable struts. I was looking into Bilstein adjustable struts. Anyother suggestions for struts for those springs?

How much do they go for? Are they cheaper then the Bilstein's? I heard good things about the Koni Yellows

89-Trophy-16v said:
How much do they go for? Are they cheaper then the Bilstein's? I heard good things about the Koni Yellows

i doubt they are cheaper, but they are much better.

call Trac racing i think they will be able to get you a good price.

T-spec said:
i doubt they are cheaper, but they are much better.

call Trac racing i think they will be able to get you a good price.

I've heard that on vw's bilstein where better than the konis from people who had experienced both.

I compared the prices between both Koni yellows and Bilstein sports today and the Bilstein were slightly more expensive and self adjustable.

Depending wich bilstein , some with big shaft some with small shaft. one is with mono tube the other with twin tube.
Big shaft is better stronger & more expensive, but it's good stuff.
koni's are also excellent, i mean youre talking about two world leader in shock technology.
pick eather one you'll be happy.

JF@TRACRACINGDEPOT

For the Bilstein i was suggested to try the Bilstein Sports, which ones would that be, the mono tube or the twin tube?

Beetleman: What are the prices at Trac btw? I would like to compare with the prices I got. PM me if you wish.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back