sub and amp combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebus

Legacy Member
What do you guys suggest for a amp and sub combo?
I dont have my car yet but i want to buy stuff while i have some money now...ill be powering some infinity speakers of my small amp from my old car and i plan to have a seperate amp for my sub...and yes i want lots of bass!!

and how much should i expect to spend?

Do you think its worth to buy second hand amps/subs also?
:bigup:

Well, taking into consideration the fact that you have Infinity speakers, it seems you like quality (who doesnt!) so, i say don't make any compromises and get a good sub to match them up nicely. Before i can actually recommend anything, do you know whether or not you want a 10" or a 12" ? and what kind of music do you listen to?

I always listen to hiphop in the car..I want a 12" for sure, just 1 though not 2..my friend has 2 JL's and it was just to much bass..everything rattles:bigup: I want something that can go loud, clear, with nice bass

I was thinking on the lines of a high quality 12 but i dont konw much about subs and amps...My friend has a type R sub in box with a kenwood amp (not sure what model) for 550$...this might be a good deal but i dont know:dunno: lol

First thing to do is avoid kenwood amps, they suck. Pretty much avoid anything they sell at Future Shop like the plague (ok exagerating a little :D ) unless your buying a head unit.

Look into clean amps from companies like Memphis, Precision Power, JL, Directed...you know...the good stuff! Anyways afterwards get yourself a decent sub, don't bother paying extra for things like chome baskets, 20 pound magnets, the largest xmax possible etc you don't need it.

What I recomend is something like a small precision power or memphis amp (1x250) and get a nice sq sub like a directed studio series (AWESOME), something from diamond audio, JL W6 or my favorite sub ever Precision Power (PPI for short) Flat Piston Pros. Make sure the sub has dual 4ohm voice coils and wire them in parallel which will give you an impedance of 2 ohms which will give you about 500 watts of power. If you do do this however make sure you don't put a 2ohm load on a bridged amp (putting 2 channels into 1) or you'll fry your amps fuses.

If you want to look at something a bit cheaper look into lightning audio amps and JL W3's.

Hope this helped

if you don't mind spending a little money get memphis. i don't know if many people have heard of memphis because all i here is people talking about alpine and jl and pioneer. to let you in on a little secret those companies really blow. no offense to people who have that shit. if you want good quality shit i can recomend you a store e mail me for the name . the owner only orders good shit and i don't know if any of his trophies are still in display but he has a whole bunch from sound competitions so he knows what he's doing. seriously don't buy any of that shit from future shit. memphis has a three year warrenty. unlike future shit where they con you in trying to buy an extended warrenty. that's bullshit. best combo clarion head unit with memphis amps if you want good sound go memphis speakers, components and subs but if you want the top of the line shit and have the cash for it go focal speakers. but i know you said you want to buy the stuff before you spend your money. seriouly if you want to be happy do it right the first time save your money for good quality stuff. and please don't be fooled with all the stuff that has bells and whistles. meaning chrome and cool sounds and flip down this and that and 500 color lcd indiglo crap. the best stuff is plain and simple so that the manufacture can concentrate on quality .

thanks for the info guy...
i wont be getting my next car until novermber if all goes well (98 teg GS)...if that doesn't fall through ill have to wait for spring and decide on someting then...
for now i just want to get the expensive parts now while i have money so i dont go broke when im driving again..

...and yes i want lots of bass!!

almost any subwoofer gives you lot of bass when installed in a tiny area like, say, a car. What you wanna get, is either excellent SQ and good SPL, or, if you're like me, scaring, window-shatterin' bass with good SQ. The choice is yours, just don't go for sony Xplod or dem cheap ass 70$ kenwood subs they sell at future shop
:uke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back