News: Volvo planning performance division

Matt01

Volvo is considering launching a new performance sub-division to rival Mercedes’ AMG and BMW’s M GmbH.

The first model to go on sale would be a hot version of the C30 hatch, and a concept version has already been built to measure public interest.

Developed by Polestar, the team responsible for Volvo’s entry in the Swedish Touring Car Championship, this concept features four-wheel drive, is powered by a 399bhp five-cylinder turbo engine and can get from 0-62mph in less than five seconds.

Production versions would wear a new PCP badge, which stands for Performance Concept Prototype.

If the project gets the go-ahead, the C30 PCP would be priced at about £50,000 and limited to a run of around 500 cars.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volvo-planning-performance-division/258034
http://www.autosource.fr/actus/volvo-souhaite-demarrer-une-division-sportive-avec-la-c30-pcp/

Top Gear tested the AWD "PCP" C30 and at almost 400hp 5 cyl it was sick!!! I think that this is just what Volvo needs to get back into the younger crowd.. if they can afford it.

0711pcp.jpg

If the project gets the go-ahead, the C30 PCP would be priced at about £50,000 and limited to a run of around 500 cars.
not that bad

if it doesnt get passed it would be stupid, because IMO volvo ranks with BMW Merc as a euro luxury car producers. Both Merc + BMW have there performance lineup.. Id say stock Volvos are no slouch but they cannot come close to an AMG/M

an awd c30 would be tits!400hp awd turbo!it'll give the sti buyers something else to look at.
fwd would bring the suck!

It's a numbers game. Volvo doesn't have the distribution infrastructure or critical mass to make a performance division viable. We've all seen the Top Gear episode and all drooled over the C30 PCP, but if they ever make it available it will be priced beyond its value to cover costs.... especially in this post recession car era.

they should just make it like an option on the car, installed at the dealership. kinda like the TRD supercharger kit for the scion tc.

that keeps cost down, not necessarily price, but its cheaper to do than build a new model.

just an idea

Volvo will not be able to join the M/AMG ranking, even with a combination of an AWD/Turbo'd car and that's the end of it.

I like the idea of fromage though..

I'm not hating Volvo, I'm driving those cars since I'm 16 but there are limits that Volvo can't overpass... they are not made to handle that much power, the handling and frame is not developped to control such high numbers.

Volvo for the Win!!!

Serieux il est temps qu'il agissen les R manuel ramener moi ca au plus vite

LOVE THE R proud owner of
S60R 2007
V70R 2005

thats awesome, i was seriously looking into the c30 but didnt want fwd.

The c30 pcp will never come to N/A and even it does, we'll not be able to afford it because its aimed to compete M class / AMG. Volvo's know racing is not a good market for them because of the competitions. Volvo lacks of power if you compare to the M class , AMG , ect .... even its an R , its not comparable today with all the horsepower these car gets. Even a mustang . camaro will over power that volvo and probably will cost half.

Its not that volvo sucks but its just too late to develop a super car while many compagnies has been there for years and experiementing for years to improve each generation.

We know volvo has the "R" but who actually would buy an R since you have so many other options.

Back