News: BMW To Price i3 Electric Car Below Expectations

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
131964_2014_BMW_Concept.jpg

Nice. With the cost of many of these Electric vehicles higher than usual, it's nice to see a lower than expected cost.

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/21292/bmw_to_price_i3_electric_car_below_expectations/

BMW released a statement today detailing the US pricing for the upcoming i3 electric vehicle. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (without Destination & Handling) in the US will be $41,350, before any federal or state incentives. The Destination & Handling fee in the US is currently $925.
Designed from the ground up to be an electric car, the BMW i3 will have a hybrid-synchronous electric motor producing 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. It will use the industry’s first mass produced carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger cell mounted on an aluminum chassis.
"With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility," BMW sales and marketing chief Ian Robertson said in the statement.
Robertson expects the i3 to grab a significant portion of global electric car sales but declined to be specific.
Some other details from the press release:
“The BMW i3 will offer interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Its 32.3-foot turning circle and a relatively long wheelbase make it agile and engaging to drive, yet ideally suited to driving in dense urban areas.”
“Quick and convenient charging is possible either with the home charging station supplied by BMW i or at any public charging station that uses a Level 2 SAE J1772 charging system. DC fast charging, using the SAE DC Combo-Fast Charger, will be available as an option. From a public fast-charging station, it will provide an 80 percent charge from a fully depleted battery in just 20 minutes.”
The BMW i series of vehicles were created to commercialize low emission vehicles. The i3 is set to hit showrooms in the second quarter of 2014 with the i8 supercar coming later in the year.

Why do they have to make electric cars look like crap ?

Roughly 42k + taxes in the US.. Probably around 50k here... Ouch.

Why do they have to make electric cars look like crap ?

Roughly 42k + taxes in the US.. Probably around 50k here... Ouch.

They want them to stand-out, to have a really futuristic/SciFi movie look.

It's not good looking, but it does achieve that objective...

Back