I cornerweighted my car yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-spec

I used my friend scales to do some corner weighting today. This is what i go as a final result. (The floor is flat and the scales are acurate to within +/-1 lbs). Yes they we plum and level.

Total Weight: 2430

LF: 834 RF: 723
LR: 434 RR: 439

So my cross weight percetages were. 0.476 and 0.523
Side Weight distribution is : 47.5% and 52.4%

This is on my daily driven b18c EG hatchback with 1/2 tank of gas, no spare.

Origonal readings were 0.439 and .560...so i think i did some good, i will try for 50% cross weight when i get a chance next week.

F/R weight distribution was 64% front and 36 rear%

where did you do this.. (I know it's a friend..) but what I'm asking is..can I get it done too :D

Kev95lx said:
where did you do this.. (I know it's a friend..) but what I'm asking is..can I get it done too :D
I did it in my garage, i just have to make sure the scales were all plum and level with each other and then world, and that the car sat on the scales perfectly.

We build the garage floor perfectly level.....my father is a perfectionist...

Were you sitting in the car at the time?.. If your gonna actually bother balancing your car.. do it with you in the drivers seat.. otherwise your ass will throw it all off again :)

Also a 50/50 weight distribution isn't necesarily optimal..it depends also on the gravity center of the weight. If the rear has a higher gravity center than the front, then it would have to be lighter to balance in turns.. if you made the rear weigh as much as the front by welding steel plates to the roof.. you'd tip your car :)..

Don't bother balancing the weight except to maybe counter your own weight. Your not an engineer, The car is designed that way for a reason..

That reason is a 120Lb asian driver on the right front seat of the car :). North american spec japanese cars(Honda/Toyota/Mazda) are usually left side heavy to compensate for a driver on the right side.

its a good thing to corner weight your car , but if you do this only for racing , you gonna have to re-do this on each different trac .

the cross-weight is changing , depending on the track layout . if your cross-weight is the opposite than the one you need on a particular track . the handling will not be as efficient even with a corner weight done

mohawkboom said:
Were you sitting in the car at the time?.. If your gonna actually bother balancing your car.. do it with you in the drivers seat.. otherwise your ass will throw it all off again :)

Also a 50/50 weight distribution isn't necesarily optimal..it depends also on the gravity center of the weight. If the rear has a higher gravity center than the front, then it would have to be lighter to balance in turns.. if you made the rear weigh as much as the front by welding steel plates to the roof.. you'd tip your car :)..

Don't bother balancing the weight except to maybe counter your own weight. Your not an engineer, The car is designed that way for a reason..

That reason is a 120Lb asian driver on the right front seat of the car :). North american spec japanese cars(Honda/Toyota/Mazda) are usually left side heavy to compensate for a driver on the right side.

Yes i was in the car.

This is cornerweights, and this can only be done with adjusting the spring lenght. This done without moving weight in the car.....it is the cross corner wegihts....see the above posted link.

I am a engineer.

And the CG of the car can easliy be caclulated, any one can do it. From there you can caculate almost all dynamic loads..it's simple vehicle dynamics. The front and back CG like you said it not relevelt or logical since all dynamic loading will be tacken from the overalll car's CG.

Mart B17a said:
its a good thing to corner weight your car , but if you do this only for racing , you gonna have to re-do this on each different trac .

the cross-weight is changing , depending on the track layout . if your cross-weight is the opposite than the one you need on a particular track . the handling will not be as efficient even with a corner weight done

True but if you cross corner weight is 50/50 then your neither right or left corner biased....right now i still have a wedge (non 50/50) and this will cause my car toio turn more effectivly in one direction then the other. Since weight transfer in a corner is trasfered diagonaly.

T-spec said:
and this will cause my car toio turn more effectivly in one direction then the other. Since weight transfer in a corner is trasfered diagonaly.

thats the reason of my reply , lets say that your CAR as is , your diagonal transfer is the opposite of what you in St-Eustache . you gonna have probleme taking the carrousel and wear out your front right tire more than before .

but i think we understand each other thats alright *tu*

nice job there
I think I will replace my battery to the right in my trunk, to get a better ratio
good tech article!
what is a ballast in french by the way???

From there you can caculate almost all dynamic loads..it's simple vehicle dynamics. The front and back CG like you said it not relevelt or logical since all dynamic loading will be tacken from the overalll car's CG.

Wouldn't you need to know the front and rear RC position as well?

Supernaut said:
Wouldn't you need to know the front and rear RC position as well?

I'm assumming you mean roll center?

Which is very true, but alot very hard to calculate. Once you know the CG then you can get the Roll Center of the car. Lowing the moment of the CG over the Roll center is critical.

Which is very true, but alot very hard to calculate.

I dunno, if you have a bit of time to spare you could probably measure the suspension pivot points with enough accuracy to get a good idea. Being able to run a full kinematic analysis would probably be worth the time, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back