Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-spec

Ok this is probably a stupid question but how hard would it be and is it possible to get a B21A1, and can i put it easly into a 5th gen hatch....

if not what kinda of swap would you put in order to not to spend 4500 on a GSR or 6000 on a type-r engine plus installation....:confused:

But why?
Why would you want to put one of the worst honda engine in a 5th gen hatch?

If you want to go the cheap route... B18B
Slightly more expensive B20Z
Even more so add a B16 head to your B18 or b 20 block an get Vtec. Hell you could even just turbo the sucker! but you'll end up running low boost and spending more than the 6000$ required for a Type-R

I guess it was the stats that read that caught my eye....plus it is a 2.1 L which gives torque....out of the curves on a track would help...

Power (bhp@rpm): 140@5800
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 135@5000

I basicaly want a quick track car, not a drag car...i was thinking about a B18A1 (base inegra engine) and then cam's and a LSD and then mabey a turbo, to get more torque...but then there is a reliability issue......... a GSR whould be nice, but would cost almost as much as my car......... I have a soild suspenstion which is good now, i just need juice......... i'm lost in the world of swaps and have no idea what is the best engine for my needs.....a B20 with a GSR is sweet but...with the weight and shit seems over done...

I can just carb a B18 and get crazy power no?

A long time ago.. back when I had a job with good money...
I was planning on pretty much the same thing you are!
5th Gen hatch
H&R Cup coilovers
B20Z swap matted to a GSR tranny with the LS 5th gear to be able to cruise at less than 4k rpm.

But got fired the day I signed for my hatchie... and part times jobs at twelves bucks an hours aren't exactly common...
That car would have had some nice punch...
But you're right, the swap is expensive, I never got to get exact figures.. but I expected to pay between 3500$ and 5000$ for it.

I'd give Trac Racing a visit if I were you... always liked the friendly people there.

The B21A of the Prelude 91, was the WORST engine Honda ever made...because of it's stroke / rod ratio of 1.5x (don't remember)

With such a ratio, the ring and cylinder wall wear faster...and it's a really bad combination with NOS or Turbo....too much cylinder wall load......

Get a B20Z for now....next year or so , buy a B16A, put the head on the B20Z...then the B18C crank in it too...plus new high compression piston....you get a B18A with 84 mm bore 7x mm stroke.... put Race cam in there + valve spring+ valve....you get a 10 000RPM capable engine that won't wear too fast and still make 200HP easily...

There is many way to get speed out of a Honda....find yours!

Originally posted by S14 Drift!
The B21A of the Prelude 91, was the WORST engine Honda ever made...because of it's stroke / rod ratio of 1.5x (don't remember)
Hehe as the comic guy in the Simpsons would put it...

Woooooooooooooooooooooorst engine EVER!!! :D

Thanks for the info...

I hear Prat and Whittney make good engines.... do you think that i can win races with one of there engines?

eng-pw500.jpg

Can it be call a sleeper if it as a Pratt turbine in the back ?

Will a turbine car pass inspection? is it leagal? :rolleyes:

:laugh: Well... if you're paying for it... I'd love to try!! :bigup:
but it'd have to be a drag rocket... :p

You guys make me laugh with your LS/vtec
you have no idea how hard it is to do right

Sure it is very reliable when done right but thats mean changing the bottom end with SIR or GSR pistions plus doing the whole head

Its a lot more work then just simply swaping the head.

in the end to do it right will cost: LS motor 1300 +
SIR head 600$+ sir tranny 600-700$+ plus all the labour and changing the pistons and what not

your well over 4500$ but you will rip a Type R if done well!!!!

Tyler

I read alot of stuff on engine specs for honda, but they never tell me the weights....i want a light powerful reliable engine that break the bank, i was thinking like a b20 (no GSR head) with some pistons and cams....a GSR tranny and then drive like that....with a greddy exaust and headders..........

I figure then i can go with a Vtech later, but i don't think Vtec is that great, i never drove one before (high HP) but like Ferrari's don't have a VTEC and they still pull 500hp out of a 3.5 L V8.....

SO like why no run just the VTEC cam all the time, why do i NEED the extra cam, which equals weight which also adds the reliability....

Yeah I know a LSVtec is a b!tch to build. but he wanted something cheaper than your average GSR or Type-R swap, thus the LS or CRV swap. Adding a B16 head isn't mandatory... :p

The B20 probably weight like +- 10 lbs more than the b18b and has the exact same external dimensions. (don't quote me on the weight.. I don't know for sure...) Get a B20, you'll like the extra torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back