Spastic shift pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MstrBlstr

smgIII.jpg

Apparently this shift pattern makes the stronges gearbox possible and thats why there is no option for shifting on your own in the new M5.

Interestingly, a higher number of gears is best suited with motors that have very narrow power bands. Mostly small bore engines used for racing. This way, at any upshift you stay in the meat of your powerband. I used to have a Euro 635 CSi with a souped up 4.0 litre motor from Metric Mechanic. That engine would put out 300HP and 300ft.lbs of torque, and all that at a very low RPM. The 5 speed close ratio was a PITA as te motor had too much power and torque to use the close gears. I was shifting all the time for nothing... The M5 V10 is hardly a small bore motor with a narrow powerband.. I guess that deciding to include 7 gears may have to do with marketing and wanting to impress at show'n'shines... That makes for one more "upgrade".

Lee said:
Interestingly, a higher number of gears is best suited with motors that have very narrow power bands. Mostly small bore engines used for racing. This way, at any upshift you stay in the meat of your powerband. I used to have a Euro 635 CSi with a souped up 4.0 litre motor from Metric Mechanic. That engine would put out 300HP and 300ft.lbs of torque, and all that at a very low RPM. The 5 speed close ratio was a PITA as te motor had too much power and torque to use the close gears. I was shifting all the time for nothing... The M5 V10 is hardly a small bore motor with a narrow powerband.. I guess that deciding to include 7 gears may have to do with marketing and wanting to impress at show'n'shines... That makes for one more "upgrade".

Compared to the competitors engines (RS6, E55) the M5 V10 does have a narrower powerband. So to "compensate" they have more speeds in the gearbox. I think having SMG do all the work it is not as bothersome.

Latest rumor on the E90 M3 is that they are testing both the 7speed SMG and 6-speed manual with plans for SMG as an option. I know what I will choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back