Fried my cpu or motherboard ??? need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

[MICK]

Legacy Member
Yesterday night I was updating my BIOS on my motherboard ... and i was pushing my cpu by raising the cpu speed .. first I put it to 147mhz/147mhz .. worked fine ... then i tried to put it to 166 mhz/166mhz .. and from there my pc wont even boot. My screen doesnt turn on and the pc does weird stuff. Did I fry my cpu or motherboard ? Need help guys

Reset the CMOS. Move the jumper over 1 pin, and pull the round watch-like battery from its socket for 4-5 seconds. Then move the jumper back and replace the battery.

En!vy said:
Reset the CMOS. Move the jumper over 1 pin, and pull the round watch-like battery from its socket for 4-5 seconds. Then move the jumper back and replace the battery.

alright ... what jumper ? lol

There should be a a small plastic jumper covering 2 of a possible 3 pins in close proximity to the CMOS battery. Move the jumper over, it only has two posisble locations, covering pins 1 and 2 (default) or covering pins 2 and 3 (to reset the CMOS). Move that jumper and pop out the battery. Then move the jumper back to pins 1 and 2.

En!vy said:
There should be a a small plastic jumper covering 2 of a possible 3 pins in close proximity to the CMOS battery. Move the jumper over, it only has two posisble locations, covering pins 1 and 2 (default) or covering pins 2 and 3 (to reset the CMOS). Move that jumper and pop out the battery.

hum i see ... and i need to change the battery after that ?

I doubt so.
Your computer is simply not POSTing.
You might have pushed your OC too far. Maybe you didnt suply enough voltage to your cpu. This means the cpu cant operate at that speed without extra voltage.
Or your PCI/AGP bus isnt locked , therefore when you are setting ahigher FSB, your agp and pci frequency rise as well so the problem maybe related to your 3d card not working at that frequency. (normal agp bus is 66mhz with 147fsb, it might be going at 74mhz)
Overcloking is not for beginners and overclocking with a bad motherboard to start with will not yield good result.
I doubt you caused permanent damage.
1st) unplug your computer.
Then you will need to open your case and look for the clear_cmos jumper on your motherboard.
Look in your instruction manual to see where it is and read the instructions.
Set the jumper to the other position for 5-10 seconds then set it back to the original position. Now try starting your computer again. It will probably boot in safe mode so you will have to adjust some settings in bios to normal operation speed.
Hope it helps.

[MICK] said:
hum i see ... and i need to change the battery after that ?

No. Just pop it out for a couple of seconds, move the jumper, then return the jumper to its original location, and put the battery back into its socket.

En!vy said:
No. Just pop it out for a couple of seconds, move the jumper, then return the jumper to its original location, and put the battery back into its socket.
AFAIK theres no need to physically remove the battery.

hum i see guys ... i`ll try it at about 1 pm when i get home from my classes .. i`m at abbott pc labs now .. but i need to figure this problem out .. i`ve got projects due etc. Why do u guys think my screen wont turn on ?

[MICK] said:
hum i see guys ... i`ll try it at about 1 pm when i get home from my classes .. i`m at abbott pc labs now .. but i need to figure this problem out .. i`ve got projects due etc. Why do u guys think my screen wont turn on ?

Ok so your pc AND your monitor won't turn ON ? did you check if your powerbar is still plugged ? lol :laugh:

[MICK] said:
Your computer feezes before initialising the video card...

I guess the yellow/orange ligjt is flashing

do you guys know what cpu speed i should set it to after i get it to work again ?

133 mhz ?

i have an AMD Athlon XP processor
256mb ram
ECS K7S5A motherboard

[MICK] said:
do you guys know what cpu speed i should set it to after i get it to work again ?

133 mhz ?

i have an AMD Athlon XP processor
256mb ram
ECS K7S5A motherboard

i think 133mhz is the defaut setting.

What you need to understand is that overclocking is not for everyone and cant be achieved with any hardware.

The way i see it is that you are trying to overclock a cheap(no offence :p ), older pc that wasnt built for this kind of "abuse"

Overclocking this system wont give you much more performance.
Video games are video card dependant, overclocking your cpu wont give the necessary increase in performance to play a newer game.

If playing newer game is what you want, i sugest you buy a new 3d card and add some RAM

kahos said:
i think 133mhz is the defaut setting.

What you need to understand is that overclocking is not for everyone and cant be achieved with any hardware.

The way i see it is that you are trying to overclock a cheap(no offence :p ), older pc that wasnt built for this kind of "abuse"

Overclocking this system wont give you much more performance.
Video games are video card dependant, overclocking your cpu wont give the necessary increase in performance to play a newer game.

If playing newer game is what you want, i sugest you buy a new 3d card and add some RAM

Huh? He hasn't even given us enough information about his set-up to determine whether or not its worth trying to overclock. And yes overclocking can and will give you increased performance. Increasing the bandwidth of any given computer via upping the FSB, and increasing the vcore and vdimm is what separates the men from the boy in terms of computing prowess. Investing in a 6800 Ultra video card on a machine thats puttering along with a FSB of 133 MHz is a huge bottle-neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back