Does anyone else still have rotary phone service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was in elementary, there were a few people that still had rotary phones and tv through a big antenna on a 50ft pole outside. When I was in highschool I don't remember anyone with rotary phones and even less with no cable. My family finally decided to make the leap to cable tv for the sake of cable internet on our first computer a few years ago (before we even had a real cd player, only discmans). Up to that point our "sound system" consisted of a turntable, casette deck and amp from the 70's decked out in wood trim, which is weird cause we had a 40" tv in the 80's which was bigger than all of my friend's tvs. Yesterday I was looking through radioshack and came across all those wacky phones. I remember as a child I saw all the re-productions of the crank phones etc...but now I'm seeing retrostyled touch tone (with numers in a circle pattern) phones that ressemble the bakelite phones I have across my house! Is there anyone else on here that still has rotary phone service?

there is no difference between rotary service and touch tone from a service perspective. touch tone access is just an add on to rotary service and costs about 2 bucks a month or so. You can plug a rotary phone into any line and use it. My parents still have one in the basement. You can also dial a touch tone phone with the clicker like it was a rotary phone and connect calls that way.

nah we have touch tone phones.. But I'm still running on Dial up and I have no cable.. only one of thsoe wire antennas that gets me about 6 channels..

It's 2.80$ for touch tone service. You can keep it as long as you want but as soon as you move you dont have the choice to get it.

I still have the original black rotary phone from Bell at my shop. It's funny to watch younger people trying to use it, they don't know how.

It's even funnier to see people who are older than me who don't know how to use it :laugh:

Twitch said:
I still have the original black rotary phone from Bell at my shop. It's funny to watch younger people trying to use it, they don't know how.

It's even funnier to see people who are older than me who don't know how to use it :laugh:

Exactly! I have several of those black bakelite phones in my house (which are kickass cause your ear never gets too hot if you're in a long conversation). Its embarassing when you have to dial phone #'s for your friends or explain to them that even though some of our newer phones have buttons, you still have to listen to the pulse of dialing. I had a really dumb friend who just stuck his fingers into all the numbers of his phone # and gave it a single spin.

SeriaLThriLLa said:
Exactly! I have several of those black bakelite phones in my house (which are kickass cause your ear never gets too hot if you're in a long conversation). Its embarassing when you have to dial phone #'s for your friends or explain to them that even though some of our newer phones have buttons, you still have to listen to the pulse of dialing. I had a really dumb friend who just stuck his fingers into all the numbers of his phone # and gave it a single spin.

Brent, how the hell do you dial with a touch tone phone, if you don't have the service? I had no idea this existed, please explain! :dunno:

SeriaLThriLLa said:

And they are so well built, heavy, but well built. I have customers that are like 30 something and they ask me(22) how to use it :laugh:

How is it possible they've never seen these phones :laugh:

I have another rotary phone at home, very nice. It's in a wooden box, you open it and there's a rotary phone.

Would loce to have one of these in my house :p
Classic%20phone%20booth.JPG

SOHC240 said:
Brent, how the hell do you dial with a touch tone phone, if you don't have the service? I had no idea this existed, please explain! :dunno:

You usually have a small button which can be set to either Tone or Pulse. Pulse dialing is what you want if you don't have the touch-tone service. You can have your modem dial pulse with a simple option somewhere in the config.

SOHC240 said:

Well it's just a switch on the phone. In pulse mode, it just gives a pulsing signal representative of the # instead of a tone when you press a button. For instance, if you dial an 8, it goes "duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh". Also, I can use a fake touch tone service for use with automated telephone lines by pressing "*" after the number has been dialed.

I still have a rotart phone at my second home up north, but for the cable we decided to go with the satelite for the rainy days :)

à la maison nous avons encore une ligne «dial-up» et nous n'avons pas le cable! :laugh: Je crois que mes parents ne sont pas faits pour la technologie! :dunno:

Golf_GTI_92 said:
à la maison nous avons encore une ligne «dial-up» et nous n'avons pas le cable! :laugh: Je crois que mes parents ne sont pas faits pour la technologie! :dunno:
You live in Pincourt, we forgive you.

Well you dont need to have the big black phone......some of the touch tone phones have a switch for pulse tone...... :bigup:

Yeah, I have one in my room, way cooler than some white plastic Wal-Mart phone. My parents bought it in some garage sale a long time ago, it has an old faded number under the plastic center cap with a (205) area code, which is from Alabama. That phone probably has seen a lot.

possessed007 said:
Well you dont need to have the big black phone......some of the touch tone phones have a switch for pulse tone...... :bigup:

Why would we buy new phones if the ones we have are still working, and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back