cut springs... how bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaZdA FrEaK said:
don't cut your spring, it's dangerous for you and the others
i actually learnt this on pimp my ride, the guy was like never cut the springs, its unprofessional and dangerous, i dont know why tho

its because they just plainly werent designed to run when they are cut down... its dangerous since your supporting a couple thousand pounds on some sketch ass cut springs... what do YOU think?

cutting the springs changes the whole geometry of the suspension setup not to mention the spring will not sit exactly right.

But hey its not my car so I don't give a shit :)

cutting springs isnt really a smart idea. Your suspension was designed to rebound at a certain rate. Now by cutting your springs, that really doesnt change anything in terms rebound, so the suspension will continue to do its job the way it was meant to do. But the problem is your car is lower now....so you'll pretty much be bottoming out everywhere, especially with our wonderful quebec roads. Hey, if you bounce hard enough, you could lose your exhaust system....maybe even lose control of the car depending on the situation.

Dont Ghettosize it.

There is a lot of bullshit floating around in this thread.

I have a story to relate, you may find it useful. A friend of mine had a car, and one of the front coil springs broke. We didnt even know that it had broken, we only found out when the car went though a safety inspection. It was the bottom coil that broke off. I am ghetto, so we took out both front springs, and cut the end of the broken one flat (for safety), then cut the other spring too match. We used a hand-held grinder with a cut-off disc to cut). Re-installed them, the ride height was even (tho it was quit a bit lower). The car still handled and drove the same as before, except the front was lowered. It did bottom out more though. The car passed inspection fine like this (with the cut springs).

A month later we swapped the v6 for a v8, and we put in some springs from the junkyard at the same time, cause with the weight of the v8 on the cut v6 springs it would have been too low.

I think spring cutting gets its bad reputation from retards who lop off 5 coils at once with an oxy-acetylene torch. (don't do that)

dude, thats SO oldschool... who the **** actually buys rebar? i personally prefer wooden dowels in 3/8ths inch from canadian tire

some assembly required

with lowering springs, wont the car bottom out easier too? since its lower?

or are lowering springs more tense? thus restricting movement in turn preventing the car from bottoming out?

yes greg it does, leave

im getting the lowering springs this week problem solved!

thank you those who contributed useful comments

it may be too late as you already decided to buy lowering springs *tu*

I'm not sure about this (I'm not a suspension expert here) but if the car's springs are progressive (witch means that at first they are a little softer and after a certain point get much stiffer, witch is an advantage for comfort), then you can see how cutting them would be a bad idea.

bigtuffguy said:
im going to buy some proper lowering srpings once the snow leaves.

Pourquoi t'attends au primtemps ?

à cause de la neige ou c'est une question de cash ?

Je roule avec une bonne drop même en hiver, ça ne me cause aucun problème.
Un char baisé dans la neige ça se comporte très bien. Même beaucoup mieux. Snowdrift avec une jetta dropé = so much fun. :bigup:

C'est juste pour se parker dans les rues de montréal les jours qui suit une tempête, je dois peleté plus que qqn quia un 4x4, mais ça tient en forme. C'est quand même moins chiant que de se taper la job pour changer des coils 2 fois. Il n'y aura pas beaucoup de tempêtes de neige d'ici la fin de l'hiver.

Si c'est le cash : mets ça sur ta carte de crédit si tu peux.

bigtuffguy said:
im getting the lowering springs this week problem solved!

oups désolé , après 2 pages de lecture et on était encore sur la même question to cut or not to cut, je suis allé droit au but, sans lire tout le thread. Désolé.

Just going to add my 2 cents. I have the Eibach Prokit on my car.........lowers about 1 inch. I was really not happy with the drop, and i was going to cut the dead link off of each spring. After reading and researching, i decided not to cut the springs but get some new springs that drop the car even more. So that is what i did, i found a great deal on Tein springs........only spent $200 bucks, and it gives me what i want. On the other hand, i know of several of my friends that have cut the dead links off of their springs and never had a problem. So the choice is up to you, if you want to chance it.......go for it, but just know that it is not recommended and it does change the springs rate which could be dangerous. If you research long enough, you will find a deal!

^ see a post with real experience.

We still havent come to a conclusion wether it is really that bad..
i know a lot of people must have at one point cut their springs. and im sure not more than 10% have had accidents as a result.

can someone who cut his springs add some input to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back