cut springs... how bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cutting your springs uneven is very very dangerous and will cause major issues with rebound and camber wear as well as table adjustments and perch on the shock ...

if cut with a brain and cut properly it will not cause any issues -

cutting OEM spings is not wise because they are set at lower tension - less rings will cause it to bounce up higher then stock because you just made then more tense but the compression rate is the same

aftermarket coils if ring is cut is compressed with more tension and will drop the vehicle even more the OEM cut

it's very ghetto to cut coils - I would ONLY do this if I was in bigtuffguy's position and even at that I'd probably buy a coil from chassel for 20 $

READ links : http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/low/880.html
http://www.mcbrooms.com/volvo/shocks.htm
THE REAL WAY TO DO IT : http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/2002spring/

A coil spring has a calculated amount of rings inorder to stay inbetween your shock and top plate. A lowering spring is what we call a progressive spring,,,, the same hieght as the original but less tension in the coil therefore giving you your 1.5 or 2" drop. The danger in having a cut coil is that if your car lifts on one side (ex. fast cornering or speed bump or pot hole) your coil can come out of it's seat causing your car to bottom out..... My suggestion is to pick up a set of lowering coils and install them a.s.a.p. followed by a good alignment. We do all that call me for a price.

you can also get a coil clamp to compress the rings it causes less more of an affective "drop" but does not damage the coils and the tension is ajustable with the clamp so in a way you can adajust where you want in on the coil and how much drop you want to give

once again, this is at your own risk

nothing can compare to a good set of these ...
( what I'm installing in 4 weeks )
PICT0003.jpg

cost me 220$ @ spark motoring - speak to todd
:bigup:

SR22DET said:
caliss pas encore un thread de meme *banghead* :rant:
^^^thank you for your very usefull and informative post. your anthrax covered cookie is in the mail..^^^

cobretti, and 95EXrV6 thank you very much for your contribution, you have answered my questions in an informed manner and backed up your claims.

im sure there were people on this site that were in the same situation ( or similar to mine ) and now will be able to make a more informed decision. than you again

If u just cut the dead coils, i dont see a problem, lots of friends have done it and still do it, ull be fine, might ride a lil choppy though

Melon d'eau said:
knowingly cutting an original coil spring of a car's suspension is illegal.

So is tons of other shit bozo.

You`re gonna bounce more cuz the car is low. Lower u go, it`s prob gonna bounce more.

Comparing my ride with my best friend`s ride.
My car is cut and bounces more on bigger bumps.

On the other uncut car, no bouncing. when a bump hits, it just feels like firm sharp bang.

BUT there`s a difference of about 1- 1.5 inches i think between the 2 ill rides.

S2G-Unit said:
So is tons of other shit bozo.

You`re gonna bounce more cuz the car is low. Lower u go, it`s prob gonna bounce more.

Comparing my ride with my best friend`s ride.
My car is cut and bounces more on bigger bumps.

On the other uncut car, no bouncing. when a bump hits, it just feels like firm sharp bang.

BUT there`s a difference of about 1- 1.5 inches i think between the 2 ill rides.

so your springs are cut , how do you like the ride most of the time ??

I got the same sprigns off of todd also, great deal. Where are you getting yours installed?

Steve/Civic03 said:

I got the same sprigns off of todd also, great deal. Where are you getting yours installed?
Steve stop thinking your crazy :laugh: , what is the drop with those springs ??

oldbomb said:
cutting springs = REALLY RICE
so if you own a HUNDUH do it
Sorry to say this dude but that was a worthless comment, cutting springs=rice= honda, so ignorant *banghead*

After market lowering spring are MADE to be cut with no problems.

OEM coils can be cut and you wont have problems but its not as safe as cutting aftermarket ones.

Let's get off the BS here saying that its rice to cut springs etc. It's rice if you're too cheap to buy aftermarket and you just cut your OEM ones and think its the same.

Corbretti ( a reputable shop ) knows what he is talking about.

Ridin LO said:
Sorry to say this dude but that was a worthless comment, cutting springs=rice= honda, so ignorant *banghead*

hahahahahahahhahhaha you got ****ING OWNED

omfg, thats golden... your own dubber kind showing you how gay you are, man that makes me feel that there are some VW people who are open minded and not ignorant/stuck up.

:bigup: ridin lo

NickZed20 said:
hahahahahahahhahhaha you got ****ING OWNED

omfg, thats golden... your own dubber kind showing you how gay you are, man that makes me feel that there are some VW people who are open minded and not ignorant/stuck up.

:bigup: ridin lo
Thanks for the props dude.
I am saying it because it is true, cutting springs= rice=honda, come on. *banghead* I used to own a civic and lots of friends own them. It is not the car that is rice only the mods that some do to it

NickZed20 said:
you cut the springs on your S2000? wow

please tell me its on another car

s2g springs are cut

like i said..... it bounces a little bit more than my boyz on big bumps

Ye and ummm niggaz happen like really like rice 4 your information. We`re always eating cornbread `n rice.

Cutting OEM springs is G-H-E-T-T-O and aftermarket springs can be cut. You remove that comfort zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back