cut springs... how bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My good friend with whom I go racing on race tracks every week owns a Prelude. He changed the shocks but not the springs.

After a while he felt like he was not getting everything out of his shocks because of the springs. Since his aftermarket shocks where far from being super (yet ok) he decided not to buy new aftermarket springs but to cut his EOM ones since he was shopping for coilovers.

He cutted enough to make sure it would fit just as right, he made super sure he cutted exactly the same on the different sides. He ended up dropping his car like 1.5" maybe. BTW he is a mechanic...

His car rides like a freaking train on rails and he won both LAPS and "Championnat du Québec" with his "ghetto" mod without ANY problem what so ever... he as been racing with that setup for more then a year.

He is so happy with the results that he isnt shopping for coilovers anymore...

BUT the ride is HELL of stiff, hitting pot holes breaks your teeth and dents yout mags...

He's hardcore soo he doesnt give a f***...

It's just a damn question of doing it wisely...

S2G-Unit said:
like i said..... it bounces a little bit more than my boyz on big bumps

you know thats always a good sign

S2G-Unit said:
Ye and ummm niggaz happen like really like rice 4 your information. We`re always eating cornbread `n rice.

hahaha, omfg, classic

S2G-Unit said:
like Cutting OEM springs is G-H-E-T-T-O and aftermarket springs can be cut. You remove that comfort zone

WTF, please dont tell be you did something twice as idiotic as cutting OEM springs

you DO realize that you can get suspension that lowers your car, right? why cut an aftermarket spring when you can just get a set of suspension that lowers your car even more...

your obviously too much of a baller for us, please understand our confusion

NickZed20 said:
you know thats always a good sign

hahaha, omfg, classic

WTF, please dont tell be you did something twice as idiotic as cutting OEM springs

you DO realize that you can get suspension that lowers your car, right? why cut an aftermarket spring when you can just get a set of suspension that lowers your car even more...

your obviously too much of a baller for us, please understand our confusion

I never said nething about being a baller. I can;'t even afford a hood without hole's in it

lemme break it down 4 ya my friend.

cutting OEM springs is GHETTO!
I did not cut aftermarket springs 1.
2. The neuspeed's I have are already the lowest but LOW aint ever low enough

Last edited:
Ridin LO said:
Thanks for the props dude.
I am saying it because it is true, cutting springs= rice=honda, come on. *banghead* I used to own a civic and lots of friends own them. It is not the car that is rice only the mods that some do to it

Well said dude !!!! Thums up *tu*

Cobretti said:
Well said dude !!!! Thums up *tu*
Ok Corbetti please give me your opinion.
I have aftermarket springs dropped like 1.5inches. The front is fine but the back could use the extra .5inch, would it be dangerous for me, others and the car to cut the aftermarket spring .5inch in the back ???

Ridin LO said:
Ok Corbetti please give me your opinion.
I have aftermarket springs dropped like 1.5inches. The front is fine but the back could use the extra .5inch, would it be dangerous for me, others and the car to cut the aftermarket spring .5inch in the back ???

dude you cannot cut .5 off the coil that would drop you even more - it's a spring it's not straight - compression does not work that way *banghead*
you'll probably need to make 2 or 3 cuts to make the "right" height

it will not be dangerous unless it's not cut the same way it is originally or you drive like a jackass :D

DSCF2237.JPG

DSCF2238.JPG

DSCF2239.JPG

DSCF2240.JPG

yeah thanks, i figured this was the best solution.
too bad they are such an ugly color.
i hope they arent visible

bigtuffguy said:
^ see a post with real experience.

We still havent come to a conclusion wether it is really that bad..
i know a lot of people must have at one point cut their springs. and im sure not more than 10% have had accidents as a result.

can someone who cut his springs add some input to this?

it is bas because if done wrong the spring can be overheated the becom brittle and break into lots of pieces

Springs are not made with regular steel so one must be carfull not to alter the properties of the metal sothat it can continue to work as intended

chaosExpanding said:
Utiliser des ressorts coupés, chauffés ou attachés est illégal et peut entrainer une amende de 200 à 300 $.
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publications/dossiers_speciaux/modif_conduite_fr.pdf

Ca serait aussi le fun que tu mentionnes pourquoi c'est dangereux.

Un ressort coupé devient plus court (duh!) donc nécessairement il devient mobile entre le haut de d'amortisseur et le bas. Tandis qu'un ressort d'origine ou de type sport reste très solide et bien assis dans l'amortisseur même si la voiture est levée completement. Le ressort ne doit pas bouger car il pourrait sortir de son espace prévu et occasionner des dommages au véhicule. De plus un ressort est fait selon des normes de sécurité et testé selon ses normes de fabrication. Lorsqu'un ressort est coupé ou chauffé, il n'est plus dans ses normes d'origine et pourrait devenir dangereux, voir même se casser. Je ne pense pas que qqun ici aimerait qu'un de ses ressorts se casse à 120km/h sur l'autoroute.

FF Racer said:
Ca serait aussi le fun que tu mentionnes pourquoi c'est dangereux.

FF Racer, je te laisse le soin de t'occupper de la dimension technique, ainsi qu'aux mécaniciens du forum qui sont pas mal plus compétents que moi dans le domaine.. Je comprends le principe qui fait qu'on ne devrait hjamais couper nos coils, mais je crois que tu l'a expliqué pas mal plus clairement que je n'aurais pu le faire ;) Je vais m'occupper plus de la dimension légale ;) *tu*

Cutting springs is ghetto I'll agree, but I drove my civic with 1 1/2 coils removed all around and I never ever had problems. I took curves just as well as anyone else did.

The downside.... the car does tend to "bounce" a bit when you hit bumps but nothing big. I would tell you to not go farther than 2 coils.

It might get dangerous to cut more than 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back