Car impounded because of different colour paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Black

Legacy Member
Ok this is weird, a friend was driving his 93 Golf CL in Lennoxvillw( Eastern Towships), he got stoped for a random check. The car used to be white(says so on the registration) but now it is black. He painted with a friend who is a good body guy. The police impouned the vehicle becuse on of the VIN's (the one on the door) was slighlt lifted(corner bent up) and so they thought it was stolen. The told my frined that the VIN on the dash means nothing because it could have easily been changed. What steps can my friend go throught to get his car out of impound? Has anyone dealt with this type of situation before???

I told him to go the SAAQ and get a history of the car, and bring picture of him painting the car to the detective, is that enough??

if he can provide evidence the car is not stolen (all the vin numbers mach he has the vin numbers for any parts cars used) also he should inform the saaq that the coulor of the car has changed.

they may be holding the car becaus it did not mache the description on the registration or in the saaq data base,

improper registration can be a 30 day impound as far as i know.

tuperwareman said:
if he can provide evidence the car is not stolen (all the vin numbers mach he has the vin numbers for any parts cars used) also he should inform the saaq that the coulor of the car has changed.

they may be holding the car becaus it did not mache the description on the registration or in the saaq data base,

improper registration can be a 30 day impound as far as i know.

Thanks for the info. He even asked the detective what he could do, and he detective, said just wait for my call. The problem is he didn't know where the other 9 (out of 11 VIN's) were and he didn't realize he Bently was in his trunk(long story)...also there was a different number on the front bumper from a colision that occured before he owned the vehicle. Now they want the phone number of the garage that replaced the bumper?? The car was from ontario....what a mess. Thanks for your info tuperwareman.

Flat Black said:
Thanks for the info. He even asked the detective what he could do, and he detective, said just wait for my call. The problem is he didn't know where the other 9 (out of 11 VIN's) were and he didn't realize he Bently was in his trunk(long story)...also there was a different number on the front bumper from a colision that occured before he owned the vehicle. Now they want the phone number of the garage that replaced the bumper?? The car was from ontario....what a mess. Thanks for your info tuperwareman.

your friend should not have any issues with the minor parts (doors, bumper, covers, fenders etc) as these parts don't generally have unique vin numbers. hoever if he has recipts indicating were he got the parts that will be accepted as evidence he baught the parts in good faith.

for the major parts (engine, tranny, main body) he will requier recepts and or the registrations for the donner cars as proof the parts ar not stolen.

as advice to any one restoring a car or modifing a car keep a binder withe the recepts and all possible info on the origins of the parts used to complete you car to avoid any potential problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back