Fiabilité des STI ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ric 93

Legacy Member
Sa fait un bout qu il y a des STI sur la route je me demandai si les proprio avait eu des probleme avec leurs STI ?

Je songe a aller men chercher une mais jaimerais avoir les défault du char

Merci a l'avance!

Up until now pretty much bullet proof and I really use the car!

The 2 problems I have had up until now and I'll attribute them to the fact that I push the car beyond what it's made to do stock:

1) Bent suspension endlinks (replaced with titanium for 200$)
2) Popped snap ring from wastegate actuator on turbo (10 cents)

That's it!

35,000km so far, driven and pushed very hard! Awesome car! Compared to my other cars:

2002 M3 blown engine
2000 s2000 3 blown transmissions/synchros
1998 type-r blown engine

The engine is bullet proof and will last a long long time unless you push the boost to stupid levels on the stock ECU mapping. Be carefull with the tranny and everything else will last for ever. They are made really strong and can take alot of abuse. 35 000km is not alot but I'm sure you will not have any problems with it unless those problems are a result of stupid driving (like we all do).

MontrealM3 said:
Up until now pretty much bullet proof and I really use the car!

The 2 problems I have had up until now and I'll attribute them to the fact that I push the car beyond what it's made to do stock:

1) Bent suspension endlinks (replaced with titanium for 200$)
2) Popped snap ring from wastegate actuator on turbo (10 cents)

That's it!

35,000km so far, driven and pushed very hard! Awesome car! Compared to my other cars:

2002 M3 blown engine
2000 s2000 3 blown transmissions/synchros
1998 type-r blown engine

Take it easy it looks like you are rough on your cars. Bent endlink is not even a realibility issue, its more a result of to much drifting.

The only blown engine I heard of is people that increase the boost to much without knowing to much about it. I dont know what is the max boost on stock engine, I know that the WRX at 17psi = meltdown

M3 engine failure was a known factory defect (spun rod bearing), engine replaced for free...

Same with S2000 tranny/syncros, lots of people had problems with them...

Type R well, as you know, they take a lot of oil.

As for the bent endlinks, it's not because of drifting, it's from high speed track use with stiffer springs.

Snowdrift said:
Take it easy it looks like you are rough on your cars. Bent endlink is not even a realibility issue, its more a result of to much drifting.

The only blown engine I heard of is people that increase the boost to much without knowing to much about it. I dont know what is the max boost on stock engine, I know that the WRX at 17psi = meltdown

MontrealM3, take it easy with your STI tranny or you will be shopping for one in no time. My first tranny in my WRX did not even last 5 000km. I was to excited and I was shifting like an idiot. I was having to much fun spinning the 4 wheels when I was shifting into second (no the car was not stock, it was modded as soon as I swapped in the engine).

WhiteZomby said:
MontrealM3, take it easy with your STI tranny or you will be shopping for one in no time. My first tranny in my WRX did not even last 5 000km. I was to excited and I was shifting like an idiot. I was having to much fun spinning the 4 wheels when I was shifting into second (no the car was not stock, it was modded as soon as I swapped in the engine).

There is a huge difference between the WRX tranny and the STI tranny... the WRX 5MT is like glass... anyone with a couple mods and 300hp will blow out 1st and/or 2nd gear.
However I've never even heard of one STI 6MT gone south... they are bulletproof... even guys running GT35's with 550whp have not had any trouble, lol.
An STI is made to be beat... look at rob... last 3 cars he's had a blown engine or tranny, so he's not gentle with cars, haha... I remember seeing a post about him pulling 1.6x 60ft times on drags... which means he must drop the clutch up near redline.

Only problems I've heard with STI's are rear suspension clunking which is normally covered under warranty and was a problem only with some 2004's.
The STI is a race car and is made to handle the abuse that goes along with them.

Donc dans l ensemble sa a l air fiable jaimerais aussi savoir combien sa fait coter consomation $/100KM, es ce que ses si dispendieux a entretenir

Les brakes sont chers ( sont gros ... ) les pneu sont cher et plus que tu pese sur le champignons plus sa coute cher de gaz ... je dirais que l'hivers tu fais 13L/100km... compte 1200$ pour des pneu d'hivers et 1000$ pour des pneu d'été...

RossWRX said:
There is a huge difference between the WRX tranny and the STI tranny... the WRX 5MT is like glass... anyone with a couple mods and 300hp will blow out 1st and/or 2nd gear.
However I've never even heard of one STI 6MT gone south... they are bulletproof... even guys running GT35's with 550whp have not had any trouble, lol.
An STI is made to be beat... look at rob... last 3 cars he's had a blown engine or tranny, so he's not gentle with cars, haha... I remember seeing a post about him pulling 1.6x 60ft times on drags... which means he must drop the clutch up near redline.

Only problems I've heard with STI's are rear suspension clunking which is normally covered under warranty and was a problem only with some 2004's.
The STI is a race car and is made to handle the abuse that goes along with them.

I knew the STI tranny must of been stronger but I would not dump the clutch on one at red line if I had one lol. You are right about the WRX tranny. My first one was brand new and I was running a ECU map, boost controler, full exhaust and a couple of extra little things and with no powershifts and second gear started complaining after about 1000 km and went south with 3rd gear at around 3500km. It was fun while it lasted though :bigup: . The next tranny I kind of gave up on launching like crazy mofo. I pulled a best 60 foot of 1.66 with it before it gave up so I was giving it all it could handle.

Yup

I ended up porting the turbo and that took care of the boost creep.

I am actually really easy on the tranny of the STI, I have done a "launch" maybe 10 times since I bought it...

I used launch control a few times and let me tell you that was sick. I raced a 360 modena in the summer .. he pulled up next to me, we started talking and we agreed to do a little stoplight action. Put on LC and when he heard my engine bouncing he went white in the face.. easy win! The LC is intimidating like hell. I took it off though due to the fact you want to use it all the time and this will screw up the transmission big time!

RossWRX said:
Also Rob... did you have any "boost creep" problems after going full turboback exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back