Need to get my car out of the river, any help or ideas appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOHC240

Legacy Member
As some of you already know I lost my Honda accord in the river a couple of weeks ago.

This thread is not about how it happened but how to get it out. A wrecker has quoted me $1500 to get it out which I think is ridiculous since the car is ~100 feet from the shore and the roof is sticking out of the ice roughly 4 inches.

Basically I am looking for any serious ideas on how to get it out. I have a few but it's worth a try on MR.

Also if anyone has a strong winch or any other apparatus I would greatly appreciate it. I am willing to pay for equipment and time.

Any help or insite wouldl be great.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Ya, I heard about that. I doubt you'll have a chance anytime before the snow melts. Pretty sure only way would be pull it out by roap/cable.

Canadian tire, buy 4 anchors of around 15-20lbs each
it will cost you around 100$ for all four of them

Anchor the car, wait for the snow to melt.

Then, if it is a river, you could let two strong metallic ropes, tie them on both sides, borrow two winches, attach them to the rope over the car, attach the car ... once you get the car out of the water in the air, pull it towards you, im just being too creative here

Get a Dodge...."that thang got a hemi" :laugh:

Seriously get 2 strong pick up trucks and pull that sucker bitch out!!!

or some manual winches and a tree..., thats cheap and quick and canadian tire prolly has some that can handle the weight of a car...

good luck

road_rage66 said:
or some manual winches and a tree..., thats cheap and quick and canadian tire prolly has some that can handle the weight of a car...

good luck

Thanks for the ideas so far. What I was thinking already was a wrecker with a winch. I was going to leave it til the spring but the cops are on my ass to get it out fast because of the ill effects on the environment. The way I see it what's done is done.

Anyways as for insurance this was my shit beater so I was only covered for liability.

West Aust: you are right, I will need to either strap or winch a truck to something else to keep from pulling the truck into the ice.

I am sure a few trucks with enough tractiion could yank it out, but I wouldn't want to try because then I would be responsible for possibly losing mor vehicles through the ice.

get it out soon, when the ice starts to melt the river rises and the current gets really strong, you might never see your car again.

Are you sure its still there, if it is we should have an MTLracing drag the car outta the river meet...

I got some ropes and a Jeep....

Damn that really sucks dude. Glad to hear you got out safe. Be careful trying to recover it though. $1500 might seem like a lot but it can be very dangerous to do without proper training and equipment. You can't put a price on peoples lives

GC8ADAM said:
where is it?

I believe he said it happened on the river in Pincourt

If its an old car it may not be worth your trouble too pull it out simply tell salvage recovery where it is and they will scrap it for you... IF its been in the drink for a while its probably finished anyways.... It shouldnt cost you anything but its better than having the cops find it and tracing back to you?

Good luck

Still would love to know how it happened?

its gonna be hard, because to hook the ropes up to the car, you'll most probably have to go in the water, and have fun finding someone willing to do it at these temperatures
if you're willing to wait, wait till summer, rent some scuba equipment, hook it up, and winch it out (hopefully the current wont drag it away by then)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back