Help in gettting a first bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-spec

I basicaly need a bike, and i know tones about bikes and cars and how they work and can build both from teh ground up. But i do not know much about what to look for in a bike when buying it used, i would figure the rear tire and brakes, but what about the chain? what to i look for.

I want to get somthing for about 2000 bucks. I also want somthing sportyish....not a 400 from the school. I plan to learn and just use it for a bit in the summer, mabey in 2 years get somthing real like a 600 or 750 sport bike.

Can anyone give me adviise or points me on some nice places to check out.

I just have to do my final test in April. Thanks

if you know tons about bikes and could build them from 0 why you asking for advice ?

you are contradicting yourself !

you wont find much for 2000$ sportish , only if your lucky you might see a price like that on a 20 - 25 year old bike ! because there is something called minimal value (basicly if you put the bike apart how much will you get if you sell it by pieces ...)

you have to look for : tires , brakes , brake fluid , chain , listen to the motor ( make sure it works clear , no ''claking'' noise ) check front suspension by pressuring it ( if it makes a ''claking noise = no good !) and so on goes the list :)

I suggest going for a bike with a little bit more power !
you will probably find it boring after 1 or 2 months. A 250cc is hard on the highway, it's have to rev up a lot ! and you will have problem keeping up with others. IMO

You should try getting a 500 or 600cc. And you will also find a bike with the look you want. A 250cc isn't a sport bike.

Also, doing the exam with a 250cc, is possible but you will only be able to drive 250cc bikes, you will have to redo your exam for a 600cc+ !
you need a 499cc + for the exam to drive all kinds of bikes !

I'm probably going to be selling my 1984 Yamaha Rz 350 soon pm me if you wanted pics, specs, and things it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back