Who is an engineer or works for an engineering firm here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i come from a family of engineers. I have my uncle who has a Ph,D in Aerospace Engineering. He had many offers by different aerospace companys to buy his research and thesis off him, they werent offering jobs, they just wanted his research, he spent about 8 years with out a job. He finally went back to my country and is now a universoty proffessor.

Another one of my uncles is a xcomputer eng, he is now also a university proffessor, he was unable to find a permanent position in the work force, and another uncle who is also a comp eng, he is a now a sales rep for motorola in the middle east. He spent about 5 years unemployeed in canada, before he got his job in the middle east. Its too bad, i would love to work as an engineer but it aint easy when almost all the available engineering jobs in canada require min 2-3 experience.

Riffo said:
C'est vrai, ya quelque chose comme 45 000 ingénieurs :dunno:

cest vrai, however there are a lot of technicians that are going their bachelors because they want a pay increase.

zokez said:
engineer with masters get payed hw much? +/-

bachelors?

theres no rock solid answer to that question. its too relative to the field of study and the position occuped by the engineer.

my teachers get paid in the 60 000$ range (cegep teachers) but most of them run a business beside that.

I am a Computer Programmer.

But in fall, I am going to ETS doing "Production Automatisée" (don't konw the english term) and will continu to work 15-20h were I am now. (will be hard for 4year). And the company have a job already planned for me. My 2 stages will be here (where I work), cause I will have my first one accepted after working for some years already has a tech, I have all the experience needed supposly.

so I think it's going well for me :) ! I hope I will do good in school and that the company will still be there when I finish :D ! but in "production automatisée" there is still lot of possibilities in the futur, I believe.

Watever said:
I am a Computer Programmer.

But in fall, I am going to ETS doing "Production Automatisée" (don't konw the english term) and will continu to work 15-20h were I am now. (will be hard for 4year). And the company have a job already planned for me. My 2 stages will be here (where I work), cause I will have my first one accepted after working for some years already has a tech, I have all the experience needed supposly.

so I think it's going well for me :) ! I hope I will do good in school and that the company will still be there when I finish :D ! but in "production automatisée" there is still lot of possibilities in the futur, I believe.

isnt production automatisé more of a mechanical engineer or tech job ? i know i'll do some in my technique

zokez said:

bachelors?

totally depends on the field, how the market is (yes beleive it or not)

my 2 mech eng friends got jobs right after school, one at 36k and one at 45k, both graduated from the same school/program

masters.. are you talking about a m.eng or MBA?

it would all depend. I'm not certain about the industry avg but you can look into it (too lazy to google it :p)

These days I think anything above mid 30s as a start salary is 'ok'.. I mean it's better than flipping burgers.

godlucian said:
ya trop dingénieur au québec et pas assez de technicien
Ca c'est trop trop vrai.

zokez said:

Good luck getting a job with those qualifications in quebec! That's too qualified.

I've been in the engineering field (mecanical) for about 6-7 years now.

started IT eng. at ETS last fall.. dunno when i'll finish gonna take my time cause i don't wanna stress out too much with school and work

zokez said:
mech eng @ concordia drop out here... wasn't for me

went straight into mech eng tech @ dawson, one year left, it's soooooo easy, and fun to play on all the machines, but i do not have any dilusions of grandeur like ZOKEZ, who is in the same program as myself....

we are technicians... this is a hobby for me so i can play with my car.
plan on hitting Mcgill, a REAL school, in another branch of engineering.

zokez said:

bachelors?

Daso is unfortunately right on this matter.
Masters in engineering will only hinder your chances of getting a job as companies will hire B.eng grads for cheaper, as said above, you're too qualified.

life sucks eh?

Rocc and Rado said:
Daso is unfortunately right on this matter.
Masters in engineering will only hinder your chances of getting a job as companies will hire B.eng grads for cheaper, as said above, you're too qualified.

life sucks eh?

I don't think there's such thing as being over qualified ;) heck worse some to worst there are companies in europe, asia or US that will hire you.

But I agree to some point.
To get into a specific field, Masters and Ph.Ds may be good but if it's just for general work it's better to get an MBA.. that way you'll have your technical stuff master in your undergrad and have people manageing/business skills as well (MBA)

perfect combo

Rocc and Rado said:
mech eng @ concordia drop out here... wasn't for me

went straight into mech eng tech @ dawson, one year left, it's soooooo easy, and fun to play on all the machines, but i do not have any dilusions of grandeur like ZOKEZ, who is in the same program as myself....

You did exactly as I did.

I've finished school a while back, I'm now a technician and loving it! Never regreted once leaving concordia... specially not when I see half the people I was with over there struggle to find jobs.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. The technical DEC certainly taught me useful things (the curriculum was similar to mech. eng.) but personally I would never ever want to spend my career doing that sort of stuff. I figure if everything works out I should be able to get a decent job in the automotive or motorsports industry abroad, but if not I'd rather go back to school in a different field than use my DEC.

Rocc and Rado said:

with REAL teachers
hahaha jk

starting my bacc at ets in mech in the fall

and finishing my ''technique'' in mech this june (because of the strike because i would end in may) and yes, it was and still is very easy but very interesting

got my ring in march, last exam on 18th

electrical engineering telecom (and i need a job!!!)

Electrical engineer specialized in:
- Electronic design (analog and digital)
- Automation and robotics
- Programming on windows and unix platforms

Looking for a job that wont be outsourced in Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back