Fork Seals: How hard to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daso

Hey guys!

my fork seals are leaking and I need to do em both. How difficult of a job is it? Do I need special tools?

I've got my new seals already, just need to install em.

I'm gonna need to do my front brakes as well now, they're full of fork oil.... :( Oh well...

it's not that bad but you need to be 3 people cause when you slide the forks down it can be a bitch..you'll need someone to hold the bike just to be sure it don't fall off the stands cause you'll be twisting and shaking the forks so they can slide down and out of the retainers..i changed both my steering fork bearing and the whole front end had to come off but in your case it's only the seals your changing there for the only thing you need to remove is the calipers and a few other things..you got it much easier then i did! you'll need to change the fork oil while your at it..

you can get the book for your bike if it helps but it's not a one man job!

hmm... need to find manual now! and it seems I'm gonna have to invite some people over to my place since I can't do it alone.... dang....

I'll figure something out.

50$, ou ca? J'me suis faite dire par un dealer que c'est 3-4h de travail... Pis a 50-60$ que les dealers chargent, ca va monter vite le prix ca!

J'ai trouver un how-to general sur le net... Ca pas d'laire si evident a faire.

blacksheep said:
si tes seals coulent c'est pas pour rien

t'a probablement reçu des roches sur tes poteaux de fourche, qui ont magané les poteaux là ou les seals passent quand te suspension écrase. Regarde de près et passe ton doigt sur le devant des poteaux tu va voir et sentir des petites marques.

C'est ça qui a coupé tes seals. Si tu met des seals neufs sans arranger les marques, tes nouveaux seals vont se couper et se mettre a couler aussi.

J'me souviens pas exactement c koi qu'on fesait mais me semble qui faut passer un papier sablé style du 1200 sur les poteaux (aller juste en long) pas fort juste assez pour enlever le coupant des marques.

PS si t es pas assez brave pour faire la job au complet, au moins enleve tes fourches pi apporte juste tes fourches au dealer tu va te sauver la moitié de la job

It's true that if your shaft is damged it can cause the seals to leak but I doubt that's the case, I think it's just normal wear in his case, if your gonna take off the front forks you might as well change the fork seals and oil your self but if your not comfortable doing it get it done by a garage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back