HP GAINED ON A e36 3.18

Status
Not open for further replies.

myke sheehy

would like to know as many trick as u guys have in your pocket

sure i know about the ecu ship

all the small trick like .........p-flow ,exhaust, tak -off the ac/belt,,

but what else

ive change my(2) front seat for ...racing seat -- ive removed 50 pound there 4 sure

but whit my 18in rims and the sound syst.i have in the trunk ..im back to original wheigt and more ............

anyway ........ill may remove the soud and drop or change rims for some

OZ super legara .those are serious light rims.........

gimme ur tips thx ...myke :bow:

If you really want more torque and power, your only cheap choice is to install a 6 cylinder motor. Some people will tell you to install a turbo or a supercharger, but it will end up being costly and not too reliable. Also, having a non-stock motor, means non-stock problems.

Lee said:
If you really want more torque and power, your only cheap choice is to install a 6 cylinder motor. Some people will tell you to install a turbo or a supercharger, but it will end up being costly and not too reliable. Also, having a non-stock motor, means non-stock problems.

then who want s to sell me a 3.25 engine (obd1) :dunno:

cauz i would like more :flame: cummin out of my 3in pipe........lol.........

thx 4 that tips

and how much is a full engine whit tranny (5 speed of course)???????6

J'ai vu que beaucoup de monde allégeaient leur flywheel sur le m42. J'me rappelle pu exactement des chiffres, mais la flywheel originale est très lourde comparée à celle en aluminium de 20lbs que tu peux trouver aftermarket. Évidemment, 'faut vivre avec les effets que ça fait, moi je ferais pas ça personellement.

Un moteur de M3 en 3.0 ou 3.2 se vend environ $3500 cdn. La conversion OBD1, c'est un autre $1000. Check avec les p'tits gars de PMI, ils avaient un 3.2 OBD1 à vendre.

Lee said:
Un moteur de M3 en 3.0 ou 3.2 se vend environ $3500 cdn. La conversion OBD1, c'est un autre $1000. Check avec les p'tits gars de PMI, ils avaient un 3.2 OBD1 à vendre.

Malheureusement c'etait pas mal plus que $3500 :(

Serieusement Lee, ca existe un moteur de M3 a 3500$?
Je suis vraiment curieux (et interessé a ce prix la) :bigup:

BRADZ said:
J'ai vu que beaucoup de monde allégeaient leur flywheel sur le m42. J'me rappelle pu exactement des chiffres, mais la flywheel originale est très lourde comparée à celle en aluminium de 20lbs que tu peux trouver aftermarket. Évidemment, 'faut vivre avec les effets que ça fait, moi je ferais pas ça personellement.

J'ai vu la meme chose.

Les bolt-on habituels (air intake, headers, cat, catback system) avec software, flywheel leger, bonne suspension, bons pneus et petites roues legeres et ca suffit pour avoir pas mal de fun.

Mais tout ca avec un moteur M3 en plus... :bigup:

Quelqu'un sait ce que ca donne des cams plus aggressives sur un M42?

Edit: J'ai oublie le "pulley kit" *tu*

hey thx for al of the advice ur givin me

im takin notes .............all i didnt know of what u told me guys is that they make light flywheel & pulleys

but bradz says that he wouldnt live whit those consequenses.....

what are those .....?

Karim E36 said:
J'ai vu la meme chose.

Les bolt-on habituels (air intake, headers, cat, catback system) avec software, flywheel leger, bonne suspension, bons pneus et petites roues legeres et ca suffit pour avoir pas mal de fun.

Mais tout ca avec un moteur M3 en plus... :bigup:

Quelqu'un sait ce que ca donne des cams plus aggressives sur un M42?

Edit: J'ai oublie le "pulley kit" *tu*

'pas vraiment besoin de cams plus aggressives; ce qui est le plus avantageux, et qui coûte rien, c'est d'avancer le timing des cams d'intake (ou celles d'exhaust, j'me rappelle pu vraiment). Car tu savais que le m42 avait des sprockets ajustables? Donc tu peux défaire ton upper timing chain cover et avancer de quelques degrés (y'a des slots sur les sprockets) pour un timing plus aggressif.

BRADZ said:
'pas vraiment besoin de cams plus aggressives; ce qui est le plus avantageux, et qui coûte rien, c'est d'avancer le timing des cams d'intake (ou celles d'exhaust, j'me rappelle pu vraiment). Car tu savais que le m42 avait des sprockets ajustables? Donc tu peux défaire ton upper timing chain cover et avancer de quelques degrés (y'a des slots sur les sprockets) pour un timing plus aggressif.

euh didnt know that.............thx............ill check that this week end...........

myke sheehy said:
hey thx for al of the advice ur givin me

im takin notes .............all i didnt know of what u told me guys is that they make light flywheel & pulleys

but bradz says that he wouldnt live whit those consequenses.....

what are those .....?

Consequences... Don't quote me on this, never tried it, but I would say it gives you a rougher idle and might make it kind of hard to shift from a stop. I think you would stall a couple of times before readjusting.

Basically, the lighter flywheel will remove that inertia you have now. Revs up faster, but also rpm falls down quicker when you lift the throttle.

Karim E36 said:
Consequences... Don't quote me on this, never tried it, but I would say it gives you a rougher idle and might make it kind of hard to shift from a stop. I think you would stall a couple of times before readjusting.

Basically, the lighter flywheel will remove that inertia you have now. Revs up faster, but also rpm falls down quicker when you lift the throttle.

ill check that closer then ........thx

You can retrofit a m20 flywheel and that will help a lot on acceleration since the m42 is a dual mass flywheel. Also you can play with the cam timings since you already have adjustable pulleys stock on there.

Jim conforti chips make the biggest difference out there.

The m42 has a lot of potential (all internals are forged) but you have to watch the revs. If you keep bringing it over 7200rpm the harmonic damper has tendency to explode and cause quite some damage.

There's also bigger throttle bodys available, turbocharger kit, downing atlanta superching kit.

BMW was racing with the a modified version of the m42 (called s42) in e36 m3 chassis and that engine was making over 300hp n/a! There also an australian compagny that has supercharged m42 around 400hp now. Over 200hp is easily attainable and IMO unless you want more than 250hp youre better spending money on you engine than swapping, if not then...

Here is an article I found about the mods that can be done on the M42.
Sorry for the formatting...
Hope this helps.

Modifying the M42 318iS Author: Stuart McHenry
This is a compilation of things that are necessary to get real performance out of the M42 engine that you use in a
street/auto-x/mild track use car. These are items that will improve the cars performance and not sacrifice any low-end
torque, which you want for street driving. These are all pretty much "bolt-on" mods, using the engines factory internals.
If you want your 318iS to really fly on the street, these are the things you need to do:

Computer chip - This is a very basic and inexpensive modification for your car. Chips usually run about $200-$300
and are very easy to install. A chip on a stock M42 will bump the horsepower to about 145 (from 135) at the peak. The
low-end torque is increased as well to improve everyday drivability. Though the real improvement comes at the top end;
the chip widely increases the power band on the M42, from 4600-6000 to 4500-6700. I recommend Jim Conforti chips,
as they are unarguably the best on the market for this motor, at a good price as well. On a side note, you will find the
M42 makes a very distinctive "howl" from 6700-7200 rpm that reminds you that you’re driving an honest-to-God
BMW.

Flywheel - A major problem with the M42 was that it had BMW’s 'dual-mass’ flywheel; yes, it weighs almost twice as
much as a 325i flywheel (as the name would suggest), at 28.5 pounds. This is a big problem and absolutely kills 1st and
2nd gear acceleration. Ever wondered why your 318iS’s 0-60 was so slow? Well, the flywheel is one of the reasons.
There are 3 options to fix this: 1) use a 325i flywheel/clutch or 2) buy an aluminum flywheel for your M42's clutch, and
3) an aluminum flywheel for using the 325i clutch. Buying an aluminum flywheel for the M42 runs about $500-700 but
is very light, and requires no modification to be fitted. M42 aluminum flywheels are about 12 pounds, and 325i
aluminum fly's are about 8 pounds. The 325i flywheel requires a few other modifications to be fitted in the 318iS.
Here’s what you need: 325i flywheel, 325i clutch, 325i pressure plate, 325i drive-pinion for the starter motor, and a ‘78-
’83 323 throw-out bearing. Replace all these with the 318iS parts and it bolts right together. After all is said and done,
your 318iS will have a LOT better acceleration in the first few gears, and deceleration will take place much quicker,
which helps on the street and in the auto-x.
Rear end gear - The 318iS is equipped with a 4.10 limited slip from the factory, but you can do better. The desired
gears out there are the 4.27 and the 4.45. You will find the 4.27 in E30 318i convertible 5 speed’s and the 4.45 is in E36
318i automatics. The 4.45 is a wicked, wicked street gear but will stick your RPM way up there on the highway. The
4.27 is a good compromise of performance and everyday use. It should be known that to make a 4.45 work, you have to
swap the gearset into your E30’s differential, or find an automatic 318ti, which has a 4.45 and also has trailing arm rear
suspension! So the E36 318ti 4.45 bolts right onto an E30, though finding an automatic 318ti with LSD may be difficult.
Adjust the cam timing - You know how on the E30 M3 you have to buy a $300 kit with adjustable cam sprockets to
tune your cam timing? Not on the 318iS! The M42 is equipped with tunable cam sprockets from the factory. So pull
your Cosmoline covered valve cover off and with the proper tools you can tweak your intake and exhaust cams up to 6
degrees +/- to provide more top end horsepower or more low end torque. See, you don’t have to blow a grand on a set of
Schrick cams to make your M42’s cams a little hotter. The best setup is to adjust the intake cam to 5 degrees (advanced)
and leave the exhaust cam alone. I would recommend having a shop do this work.
Muffler - The 318iS is equipped with a very free flowing exhaust manifold and center section with 2.25" stainless
piping. The bottleneck in the system is the muffler. Thee are a few options for this. The first is a cat-back system, which
replaces the piping and boxes behind the catalytic converter. Supersprint makes an excellent cat-back system that runs
about $400. You can also simply replace the muffler. There are a variety of mufflers on the market but there is one that
is very inexpensive, sounds great (not too loud, but throaty), and fits an E30 very well - it is made by Walker-Dynamax
and is called the "Super-Turbo" muffler. It is available from Summit Racing at the price of about $40. We have had
great success with these mufflers, and even use them in 3" size on our E30/S50 cars.
Intake system - The 318iS stock airbox works well, but a cone filter setup works better, but only if you have a wellbuilt
heatshield! Get a large K&N setup with the AFM adapter and all. Go to Home Depot, buy some Reflectex and
build a "cool-air" system by cutting and fitting a heatshield. It is worth it in the end. While you are working on the
intake, get the secondary plate of your throttle-body bored out 3mm to 57mm. This will make a difference.
Summary: You will find that with a little time, a little cash, and a little elbow grease, you can tune your 318iS to really
perform. William Zubrick's 318is with a properly built intake, Supersprint cat-back, and Jim Conforti chip puts 131hp to
the wheels on a chassis dynomometer. Enjoy!

VwAlex said:
There's also bigger throttle bodys available, turbocharger kit, downing atlanta superching kit.
Yes, you can do all that stuff. The question is whether or not it's worth it. As Lee pointed out, you can buy a 3.0 or 3.2 liter engine from an E36 M3 and fit it to the car for less than the cost of modifying the M42/M40. And you'll end up with a more reliable car.

Emre

well i guess im more than pleased whit all u guys gaved me

thx for everything............hope u guys recongnize me at the meet of may 7th at orangejulep ........following by sanair d/w ...come see me ill be glad to meet those guys that i talkin whit everyday............. :D

so here`s what i`ll do if i undestood well

- advance timing of 5 degrees
-replace flywheel
-put a jim conforti ecu ship

for the rest ---muffler --cold air intake -and locked diff. already done *tu*

how much hp does your engine produce stock?
how much hp do you to produce?
how much money are you willing to spend?

I have an hint you will be spending lot's of money and still not be happy with power.

Go for the M3 engine swap.
I

Tex said:
how much hp does your engine produce stock?
how much hp do you to produce?
how much money are you willing to spend?

I have an hint you will be spending lot's of money and still not be happy with power.

I
YEAH maybe but the thing is i just want to add little more power by doing thing i can do whitout spending 3 or 4 k

im savin money for a house too.........its just that im tired of gettin folowed by integra .....

ill be satisfy whit hp around 160........for the rest im doiin lightweight stage on the car this summer ...........

thx for ur advice..........

Tex said:

I

Things you have to appreciate about 1.8L M42's
it's not a Mustang :p

if you want that buy a mustang they can be modded to do 1g on a skid pad too.

ok all that asside

the 318ti 318is out handles the M3
why... cause it's nose is about 100 pounds lighter and the motor
is low & back agaisnt the firewall for balance..
quicker turn in, etc

tight whore to mod for custom FI
the m42 has great power 4.5K to redline it's a revy motor..

To just "swap" in a M3 motor requires things like:
custom welded motor mounts, rewriing systems, ecu, etc
need better suspension: new springs, struts.
Bigger brakes too
+ a few other things im sure..
ends up equaling =$$$$$$$$$

With something as simple as nitrous a 50shot,
which the Forged internals could handle you'd be at or above 325is levels ...
the m42 is lighter remember

alot of cars will eat the stock 1,8L m42 off the line
but you'll be rear ending them when you catch upto them in the turns :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back