325 with m3 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee said:
I don't know about BMW Canada, but BMW NA will sell a crated S54, brand new and not a rebuilt. I got friends who are mechanics at Turner, and they get a "rebuilt" S54 (brand new) from BMW NA for a ridiculous low price. But a core is required because of German tax laws about rebuild motors.

You can buy a brand new M3 engine for $18000USD or a rmfd one for $15000USD.
Whith these prices, BMW is sure that no 325 owners will swap engine and have a car as fast as an M3!

All you have to do is go here, and click BUY. Very simple, you'll see.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=11_2986&hg=11&fg=05

LanEvo said:
Don't kid yourself...the vast majority of people that post in this forum are no better than the baseball-cap wearing Honda boys you lampoon in your posts. The amount of posing and lack of knowledge in this forum is truly staggering.

[For the record, engine transplants, forced induction, etc. happen to be quite popular in the BMW community in the US and across Europe. The only reason you don't see that sort of thing here in Quebec is because no one has the money to undertake these projects. MR.com is the only place in the world that I've ever seen people bragging about what kind of oil they use.]

Emre

You are right. But I was talking in General. I see horribly tuned r|ce Bm's and audis in Switzerland all the time. I think all bodykits should be banned (unless made by a "manufacturer tuner" eg. Shnitzer, alpina, hamann, kleeman, brabus etc.)

As for me, I am sick of tuning except for minor things. Tuning started out as a way to correct glaring errors in a mass produced model. E.g. the brakes on an ///M3 are inferior to the rest of the package. A 575 Maranello is TOO quiet, you don't even hear the beautifull exhaust note. (Ferrari takes care of most things in house, hence the Fiorano and GTC packages and TUBI)

Taking a car that was fine to begin with and add things that were not needed in the first place is lame. Thus I resoved to keep my Alfa stock (well maybe bigger wheels and uprated suspension).

Get the best of both world's

The driving of the BMW with rotary power !!

If it does not exist .You got to build-it ! That's what i'm doing !!! :bigup:

zogy said:
Get the best of both world's

The driving of the BMW with rotary power !!

If it does not exist .You got to build-it ! That's what i'm doing !!! :bigup:

Why?

An fd twin turbo engine is heavier than a ls1 v8 and doesn't make more power than a stock american m3 motor. And if we go into reliability issues.... Rotary engines are good but IMO it really isn't an engine you want to put into a heavier/heavy car. Buy an rx-7 it'll be cheaper and faster.

VwAlex said:
Why?

An fd twin turbo engine is heavier than a ls1 v8 and doesn't make more power than a stock american m3 motor. And if we go into reliability issues.... Rotary engines are good but IMO it really isn't an engine you want to put into a heavier/heavy car. Buy an rx-7 it'll be cheaper and faster.

It's thrue ! The rotary engine is more heavy. Maybe 125 kg more for a 20b then a ls1.But my car is over 200kg lighter than the original Cosmo the engine came in.So it should give reasonable performance.

And also i'm not a v-8 guy.With no doubt it's a great engine but i'm looking for something else!

zogy said:
It's thrue ! The rotary engine is more heavy. Maybe 125 kg more for a 20b then a ls1.But my car is over 200kg lighter than the original Cosmo the engine came in.So it should give reasonable performance.

And also i'm not a v-8 guy.With no doubt it's a great engine but i'm looking for something else!

Why not just stick to the bmw engine? The 3 rotor engine will be a bitch to find parts readily available for when stuff breaks, not to mention all the custom stuff, rotary engine need more care, your losing the whole value of the car for power that could be had with the original bmw engine reliably. Why do you want a rotary powered bmw? I can understand a 3 rotor rx7 or a rotary powered mazada but a bimmer???

Fitting a 3-Rotor 20b engine in a RX-7 is a pain in the ass so imagine in a BMW. However, it gives nice numbers if the car is not heavy (An RX-7 is between 2700-2800 pounds).

VwAlex said:
Why not just stick to the bmw engine? The 3 rotor engine will be a bitch to find parts readily available for when stuff breaks, not to mention all the custom stuff, rotary engine need more care, your losing the whole value of the car for power that could be had with the original bmw engine reliably. Why do you want a rotary powered bmw? I can understand a 3 rotor rx7 or a rotary powered mazada but a bimmer???

Because of 2 things . First - m3 engine and tranny + turbo kit = around 10,000$.
Second - the project looks fun for all the reasons you just mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back